Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kimber Solo is their version of a striker fired micro sized 9mm pistol.

So far it is living up to all the expectations I have for guns like this. It works very well, has a decent trigger, good sights and is really small.

I don't dare to venture into the which one is smallest mud slinging but it sure would be a contender.

It weighs 17 ounces- with an aluminum frame- and holds 6+1 rounds.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
How many fingers could you get on that grip Charlie?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Weight-wise, it's not quite down to the PF9; but that would not be totally bad, sine the few extra ounces might make recoil a little less "snappy".
I'm looking forward to the actual dimensions. If it is smaller, no big deal--that's called progress.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It's a good looking handgun. Is it kinda looks like the Colt 1903/1908 at the rear end.

Charlie, you said it was striker fired. You think they extended the rear of the frame and slide just for looks, or can you tell there a design reason? And at 17 oz, it's a little heavy for a pocket pistol, isn't it? Sounds like it would need a good little belt hoslter.

It does look well made, but it sure has a Kimber price tag. Kimber has the MSRP at $750. :shocked:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
It reminds me a bit of a cross between the so-called Jennings/Ring of Fire pistols and the German/European auto pistols of the early 20th century.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You think they extended the rear of the frame and slide just for looks, or can you tell there a design reason? And at 17 oz, it's a little heavy for a pocket pistol, isn't it? Sounds like it would need a good little belt hoslter.
The frame is extended fow two reasons: give room for the safety and provide something like a beavertail... it would jump straight up without it

I guess the weight depends on your basis for comparison. If you use a little 380 then it sure is but jeez... it is a 9. The majority of the weight is in the slide/barrel as it should be (recoiling mass) and the frame ain't plastic.

It has done fine in a pocket but I did get two holsters from Galco (haven't tried them yet though)

length: 5.5"
height: 3.9
width: 1.2"... mine actually measures 0.923"

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
You think they extended the rear of the frame and slide just for looks, or can you tell there a design reason? And at 17 oz, it's a little heavy for a pocket pistol, isn't it? Sounds like it would need a good little belt hoslter.
The frame is extended fow two reasons: give room for the safety and provide something like a beavertail... it would jump straight up without it

I guess the weight depends on your basis for comparison. If you use a little 380 then it sure is but jeez... it is a 9. The majority of the weight is in the slide/barrel as it should be (recoiling mass) and the frame ain't plastic.

It has done fine in a pocket but I did get two holsters from Galco (haven't tried them yet though)

length: 5.5"
height: 3.9
width: 1.2"... mine actually measures 0.923"
I know that the mass is welcomed in handling the recoil of the 9mm. I had one of the S&W 940's years back, and was surprised how much even standard pressure loads recoiled in that little j frame. I just know that, in the dress pants I usually wore to work, an all steel J Frame would sure tug on my trousers pocket, and would print noticeably even in a pocket holster. Never noticed it much in off duty jeans or cargo pants. And yes, I wore a belt! Heck with a duty weapon, back up, spare ammo for both, handcuffs, wallet/badge, keys, knife, cell phone, Southern Linc, and (at the time) cigarettes and lighter, I needed a belt AND suspenders.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
IrishCop said:
And yes, I wore a belt! Heck with a duty weapon, back up, spare ammo for both, handcuffs, wallet/badge, keys, knife, cell phone, Southern Linc, and (at the time) cigarettes and lighter, I needed a belt AND suspenders.
What's a Southen Linc????? Starting at the buckle: mandated extra pistol ammo, pistol, cuffs, flashlight, radio, mandated basic load of rifle ammo, , key set, OC spray, pouch with latex gloves/CPR kit. Then there's the stuff in the cargo pockets. H harness is a wonderous thing, 'specially with good keepers to attach the pants to the belt. :D

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Southen Lincoln is a two-way radio system similar to Nextel.
I've always wondered why police haven't gone to some kind of harness.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
William R. Moore said:
IrishCop said:
And yes, I wore a belt! Heck with a duty weapon, back up, spare ammo for both, handcuffs, wallet/badge, keys, knife, cell phone, Southern Linc, and (at the time) cigarettes and lighter, I needed a belt AND suspenders.
What's a Southen Linc????? Starting at the buckle: mandated extra pistol ammo, pistol, cuffs, flashlight, radio, mandated basic load of rifle ammo, , key set, OC spray, pouch with latex gloves/CPR kit. Then there's the stuff in the cargo pockets. H harness is a wonderous thing, 'specially with good keepers to attach the pants to the belt. :D
Yeah William...but I was in plainclothes! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah... stick to that story no matter what... 8)

But you did better than some I worked with. I was forever having to "lend" them a handcuff key... sometimes the cuffs too... or they'd want to use my radio. :roll:

How's Mr. Staph doing?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well...we're not really sure. :ehsmile: My bloodwork shows that the infection is losing the war. BUT my foot is still swollen like a Macy's Turkey Day balloon, and it's still weeping a brownish-yellowish fluid (I'm told green is the worst) and I'm still having some pain if I put much weight on it. Their going to keep me on nafcillin for a couple more weeks - after that, their gonna decide whether to take me off the nacfillin and see if I develop other symptoms of an infection (not too wild about that idea) or put me on a table, open the foot and see what they can see. Both my surgeon and my infectious disease doctor have explained how amputation might be necessary. :ek:

Right now, I really don't care...I mean I don't want to lose the foot, but I do want to get rolling on this so I can get back to some sort of semblance of a life. I want my condition to to stabilize so I can see just what my life will be - cane, crutches or wheelchair. I think it's the not knowing that's driving me up the wall.

Other than that, I feel good. My slot is still open at the S.O., and our Sheriff dropped by my house this week for some shop talk. She assured me she wants me back on the job. How that will work out vis-a-vis my one or two footedness (nice word, huh?) remains to be seen.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Have they considered bleeding you? Granted it involved vetrinary medicine, but there've been some good results that way. In any event, best of luck.

Charlie, in the real old days, I can recall having to lend a piece to a plainclothes type. He left his back in a desk drawer :shocked:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leeches are cool too...

I saw more than one empty holster...but only had enough guns for me...

We're pulling for you..

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Let's not forget maggots for cleaning out the diseased tissue... 8)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
William R. Moore said:
Have they considered bleeding you? Granted it involved vetrinary medicine, but there've been some good results that way. In any event, best of luck.

Charlie, in the real old days, I can recall having to lend a piece to a plainclothes type. He left his back in a desk drawer :shocked:
During my first year on patrol, I had finished taking one to jail, and was in my patrol car halfway to my sector when I realized I'd left my duty and second gun in the lock box at the jail. I boogied back there and corrected that. Never told a soul.

Nossir, Mr. Moore, nobody's asked about bleeding. Don't think I'd be too receptive. :ek:

And no, Charlie...leeches are NOT cool! :shock:

But, my surgeon did call me today. On Tuesday I report to Huntsville Hospital at 0600. He's gonna open up the foot, clean it out and take a good look. It's about time we get this show on the road!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
shep854 said:
Let's not forget maggots for cleaning out the diseased tissue... 8)
Oh thanks for that, Shep! Sure, stop by the house the next time your in Morgan County. I've got a special drink, got the recipe from this guy named Jones...Jim Jones. I'm SURE you'll enjoy it! :wink: :lol:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
While this post has drifted far enough, I will say, I'm glad they are going to take a look at the foot. IC, a good debridement, can go a long way to clean things out and stimulate healing -- ask me how I know!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Back on track...

Charlie, am I correct to infer that this gun is not just a test sample but a keeper for you?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts