Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some details on the origins of the flying ashtray load. I thought the original flying ashtray was a .38 caliber hollow base wadcutter bullet commonly used by PPC shooters, loaded upside down to use the hollow base as the expansion cavity. I distinctly remember seeing a few of these loaded at one of the gun shops I used to frequent.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
The backwards wadcutters have been around for decades, but the only load I've ever seen referred to as the "flying ashtray" was the Speer 200-gr JHP in .45ACP. If Mas Ayoob didn't invent the term, he certainly popularized it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The backwards wadcutters have been around for decades, but the only load I've ever seen referred to as the "flying ashtray" was the Speer 200-gr JHP in .45ACP. If Mas Ayoob didn't invent the term, he certainly popularized it.
And from his reports, it was arguably the best of its generation; despite reports of feeding problems, my '89 Combat Commander never choked. IIRC the Gold Dots replaced it.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The 200 gr Blazer in the Aluminum cases was my pin load for years...I think I have a couple boxes around...

Geoff
Who got 250 rounds of 62 gr. Green Tip Federals in 5.56mm mail order.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
phantom4570,

FWIW, I loaded .38spl cases with a "reversed wadcutter, with a post in the cavity" for years as a "close range self-defense load" for my "old school" Colt's Cobra, when I was "playing RR cop". = Seemed to work FINE at about 700FPS out of the snubbie.

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
The reversed .38 HBWC loads looked as evil as homebrewed sin and made great photos when fired into various "test media," but are there any documented cases of anyone ever being shot with such loads? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Snake, I seem to remember one of the early "Ayoob Files" described such an incident. It was either a reversed wadcutter or the old Hydra-Shok Scorpion load.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Snake45,

The ONLY such shooting that I know of with a "reversed wadcutter) was a shooting of an armed robber at a 7-11 store on Canal Blvd, NOLA by an off-duty city officer. He used a Model 40 S&W revolver. - It resulted in instant death BUT most any round in the back of the head from 5-6 feet or so away is fatal.
(I wouldn't guess that that's what you meant.)

I started loading them because they were CHEAP & SEEMED adequate at SELF DEFENSE range.
(In a rail-yard at night, ranges are CLOSE & the "yard boss" said to shoot only "in gravest extreme", as "there's nothing here worth killing someone over except you".)

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeah, me too--I keep meaning to drop him a "you're missed, amigo" email, but never seem to get to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts