Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate any thoughts or experience with the SFS (Safety Fast System?) that is being offered on some of the FN Hi-Powers. I've seen Cylinder & Slide offer them in the past on H-Ps and 1911s as an aftermarket add-on, but don't know much about them. I also recall Daewoo having something similar in the past on their "Triple Action" pistols.

Harvey

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I just think its a useless concept to give one a false sense of safety when the original fire control system remains just as safe as all true safety resides in your trigger finger and in keeping it off the trigger until you are ready to bust the cap.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I see it as almost purely cosmetic. With the standard action and the SFS:
-The gun will not fire if the safety is engaged.
-If the safety is disengaged, then the pistol will be in Condition 0 (cocked and unlocked).
-The trigger pull in condition 0 is a single action.

The only conceivable safety feature is that it may be a easier to telll that the safety has been swiped off inadvertantly with the SFS, because the cocked hammer may be more visible thatn the safety. I think that's a pretty marginal benefit. The real benefit is cosmetic... people that aren't comfortable with Condition 1 carry don't have to see a cocked hammer with the SFS.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MO and Tim:

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

The SFS does represent a new manual of arms for 1911 and H-P users, and that might not be a good thing. My take is that for those who carry, but don't feel all that comfortable in Condition 1, it might be a reasonable solution.

Harvey

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
But why should it make them more comfortable? It acts exactly the same, it only looks different!

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Tim said:
But why should it make them more comfortable? It acts exactly the same, it only looks different.
Safety is in the eye of the beholder. Like back in 1994, Senator Fineswine used a copy of the Shooter's Bible to find guns whose looks scared her. While a 1911 or HP is no more safe with a SFS installed than when the same style handgun is in condition 1 but looks "scary" to the uninformed... :eek:mg:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Id agree it is STRICTLY cosmetic. If the safety is on the gun wont fire.....if the safety if off, the hammer cocks and its ready to rock.

Just an illusion to those who see a cocked hammer as a thing of shear evil :twisted: :roll:

Its much different than the DaeWoo mechanics..........

Shoot well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts