Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shooting bud Frank Bickley, he of the World's Gaudiest Government Model, asked me for a recommendation on something which is out-of-my-ken.

That Golden Government Model was constructed from the ground up from Caspian and McCormick parts, and has proven something of an annuity for our friendly 'smith up in Worchester. Frank isn't displeased with the Caspian frame and slide, but wants a "ready-to-mount" 1911-receiver for a .22 LR conversion kit for which he traded someone an engraving machine. He thinks the "upper" is of Colt's manufacture.

So, what's the best way to go? Find an ol' Colt's/Browning pattern shooter and hope that the conversion slide fits reasonably snugly, or does anyone offer a factory new receiver with internals?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
My experience with Colt conversion units has not been particularly inspiring. The floating chamber requires frequent cleaning to keep it moderately accurate.

Unless the one he has is brand new it will not work on any Series 80 Colt frame and maybe not on the new Kimber II series with the firing pin safety although I haven't tried it.

I have found, however, that Colt Conversion units normally fit just about any other frame so his best bet might be to try to find a used gun at a decent price and then send it up to Mike for a trigger job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts