Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
MotorcycleWriter,

FIRST. WELCOME ABOARD!!!

You have found the BEST gun forum on the WorldWideWIERD.

There are lots of REAL experts here & you will receive the help that you desire.
(I'm an expert on NOTHING.)

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854; MotorcycleWriter; All,

Unlike a lot of sites on the www, there's not a lot of needless chatter here. nd that is a GOOD THING, imo.

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
GunGeek,

The so-called M2A1 (as assembled at some CONUS/OCONUS depots) certainly qualifies as a SMG, imo.

As does the "paratrooper model" of the Johnson MMJ in .22 Spitfire.
(We had a couple of those in the armory when we were "away down south" but had NO ammo for them.)

yours, sw.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854,

IVER JOHNSON once made one in that caliber. = It looked like a "sawed-off carbine".

Btw, I once traded for a Blackhawk in .30 carbine but didn't keep it long. = IF you missed a live target, you could always burn it to death with the muzzle flash

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854,

I wonder if the Kimber ,30 cal. might actually have worked with a modification of the design to work similar to the Astra 400, i.e., with a BIG coil spring wrapped around the barrel, to retard that slide slamming back so hard.???

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
GunGeek,

Fwiw, I've owned several Astra 400 & a few Model 300 at one time or other.
(Never owned a 600 though.)

I carried an EX-Condor Legion Astra handgun as a duty piece when I was a constable for 2+ years, until the sheriff told us NO semi-autos "in my county".
(I liked the Astra very much & saw nothing wrong with it as a handgun. - Our armorer had worked on the trigger for me.)

Btw, I paid 25 bucks for the Astra, holster & a gunbelt. = How times/prices have changed in a half century.
(I was paid 55 bucks a month as a deputy constable plus a dry-cleaning allowance & a county credit card for gas/batteries/tires/etc., when I hired on & thought that I was RICH. - Everyone bought their own uniforms & drove their own cars back then, too.)

ONLY Colt's & S&W .38SPL & .357 MAG revolvers were allowed, except for ASST Chief Deputy & higher ranks.
(The Boss only agreed to that change after the senior deputies raised H about having to stop carrying their Colt's 1911s pistols.)

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
GunGeek,

Back in the long ago days/"daze" that I was stationed in BRD, I made friends with a former Luftwaffe (Sergeant) pilot who flew the Fiesler Storch, throughout WWII.

His comment on handguns was: Luger pistols are "badges of rank" & far too fragile for extended combat. IF your very life depends on it, get a P35, a PPK or an Astra & leave the Luger to the big brass & the SS.
(He said that he was NO fan of the P38, either.)

My problem with the P38 is I could never shoot it worth a hoot. = My choice in those days was a Canadian contract version of the BHP.
(In 1977, I bought a PAIR of the CDN versions for 100 bucks cash. - Kept one & gave the other to my 1st cousin for Christmas that year.)

yours, sw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts