Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out some old stuff in my parents house and found a box of old .45 ACP ammunition. I assume the headstamp means it was made in 1941.

It has a ring around the outside of the casing, does anyone know why that is there?

The bullet is lead, not jacketed. I don't plan on firing this but would it be safe to fire? Is there anything else anyone can tell me about this ammunition or should I try to post pics?

ETA: just checked the Headstamp Codes database listed above, looks like the RA means Remington Arms Co.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Taking you at your word that their bullets are lead, I bet that these are reloaded cartridges.
Factory loads marked for government use (e.g., RA 41) would normally be loaded with jacketed bullets, probably of a brass-like color.
If I am correct about the cartridges being reloads, the "ring" you observe may be the bullet pressing outward through the resized case. Your description, however, is unclear.

However...The "ring" might also be something called a "cannelure," pressed (rolled, actually) into the case to keep its bullet from being pushed too deeply into the case.
Also however, these may be factory-loaded cases with jacketed bullets that were once a silver-like color, and which have tarnished to look dull, like lead.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Attaboy Steve :thumbsup:

Right on all counts.

RA 41 is absolutely, positively loaded with corrosive primers. It is false economy to shoot it unless you are prepared for the cleaning needed after shooting corrosive ammo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts