Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a website that will show/tell me what the different frames are, i.e., K frame, J frame, etc., etc.? Just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

Never could figure out the differences but I'm not really into the handgun stuff that much. As long as I can
shoot it and it shoots well it's good enough for me. Ditto with rifles.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
S&W frames are pretty easy:

• M: 7-shot .22-caliber Ladysmith, out of production[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
  • I: 6-shot .32-caliber, 5-shot .38 S&W, out of production[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
  • J: 5-shot .38 Special, etc.; this was an extension of the I frame, which it eventually replaced, to accommodate the longer cylinder for the .38 Special; it also uses a coil main spring in place of the leaf spring used in the I, K, L, M and N frames - I'm not familiar with the X-frame guns[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
  • Extended J: 5-shot .357 Magnum; this really should have received a new letter designation, by S&W tradition but it did not[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
  • K: 6-shot .38 Special, etc.[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
  • L: 6-shot .357 Magnum, enhanced medium frame, about the size of Colt's .41-caliber frame[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
  • N: 6-shot .44-caliber frame[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
  • X: new super Magnums[/*:m:2jg4jqrx]
I have not listed all the calibers and variants, such as the 7-shot L-frame 686 Plus and the 8-shot N-frame Model 27's.

It really gets involved with Colt DA revolvers, where letter designations are not commonly used. If you really need to know those, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you the list in the form of a Word document.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts