Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shooting a friend's Match AR in a recent match, I figured I needed to have one of my own. I didn't want to put a ton of money into the project, so I decided to just buy an upper to put on my Colt SP1 lower. I was wavering between a Rock River Arms Varmint upper and Fulton Armory's Accutron upper, but finally went with Fulton Armory. Prices were comparable, but the four things that swayed me were 1. the handguard is already slotted for a handstop (unlike RRA)2. Fulton Armory's reputation as a custom builder 3. FA's guarantee and last, but not least 4. a helpful internet conversation with Walt Kuleck (thanks, Walt!).

I ordered it the first week of August and was given an estimated shipping date of August 31. Happily, it arrived the middle of last week! Two weeks; not bad. Here is what I got; the handstop and rear sight were added by me, the front and rear sight bases (both Lipski's) were ordered from Fulton Armory at the same time as the upper. The barrel is Fulton Armory's own; not the Krieger.

I was anxious to shoot it, but I didn't have my front sight for it yet, so I put a scope on just to try it out and break in the barrel a little bit. I took Glen Zediker's advise and used the shoot, clean, shoot, clean, method. While I was doing this, I shot some 5-round groups. This was at 100yds off of a bench with a 20x Tasco Super Sniper scope. Ammo was some leftover 75 grain Hornady handloads I had made-up for another rifle.

I was pleasantly surprised to say the least! Fulton Armory guarantees it will shoot 1MOA or less and it certainly does that quite easily! Groups were .68, .85, .87, and .92 measured center-to-center. Remember; the rifle was swabbed out with copper cleaner and dry patches after every round (yes, it took all afternoon!). None of the groups were five consecutive shots. I ran out of my "good" ammo after 25 rounds. I had some 45 grain varmint ammo, but didn't bother trying that because of the 1-8 twist barrel.
Remember that this is Fulton Armory's "budget" match upper. I can't imagine how well the Krieger barreled version shoots!
Once I get my front sight and tailor some loads specifically for this barrel, I will shoot some from position (maybe shoot a match) and write a follow-up piece. I think the extended sight-radius alone is probably worth ten points or so.

I am a happy Fulton Armory customer!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I want one of Fulton's good .22lr service rifle type uppers.

They make an A2 type .22 upper with the good A2 sights and a service rifle float tube.

It is expensive but I will own one someday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a Fulton Accutron upper and am going nuts beacuse I dont have all of the hardware to mount my Leupold and fire it up. One thing that really turned me on was the fact that Fulton uses Douglas blanks turned by Gene Barnett, this can be found on their barrel faq on the website under Krieger vs others. If this shoots anything like my Compass Lake DCM with a Douglas barrel, I will be extremely content :D Have fun with yours and be safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts