Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, OK,,,

My romance with my old Dad's carbine continues to be a wonderful journey, but it seems the more I read or hear I'm constantly returned to the fog.....

Early on I learned that when the carbine's bore is cleaned always have the barrel upside down. This is so cleaning solution or lint does not trickle into the gas piston drilled port. Also I am under the presumption that the piston never is oiled.......

So, today studying the M1 Basic Field Manual FM 23-7 I find the below statement..... instantly it tosses me back in the FOG.

What gives...?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I carried an M2 carbine in Korea for 16 months, I never inverted the barrel to clean it, I don't remember ever oiling the gas piston. I just field stripped it, cleaned the bore and trigger housing group, put a little oil on the op rod and bolt and it ran like a top. I think you are over thinking this. Me in Korea age 17

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One drop of oil on the outside of the piston....Nothing on the inside. The gas from shooting will blow out any excess.
smokpole,

Again, I appreciate your input....! For now I'll just do the 'barrel up & barrel down in and out' test during cleaning.

bearcat6,

Good advise and man-o-man when I look at pictures of me back then I looked as good as you... now I wonder who is in the mirror when I brush my teeth.

Thanks......

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts