Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cams in the block do two things. They can be direct drive from the crank, no chains or belts to break or jump timing. It moves as much weight as possible down to lower the center of gravity of the engine.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Must be for a compact car ................. :neer::rotflmao::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
That is really amazing work. I would be dropping little screws all over the place, never mind anything else.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cams in the block do two things. They can be direct drive from the crank, no chains or belts to break or jump timing. It moves as much weight as possible down to lower the center of gravity of the engine.
I was referring to the outboard twin cam arrangement rather than a single cam located above the crankshaft. The overhead cams in the Ferrari 365GTB/4 Daytona engine are gear driven. The question is does lowering the center of gravity make up for the weight and mechanical losses of pushrods and rockerarms.

Who notes the fine work that eliminates head gaskets. Like a Citroen 2CV.
The mechanics working on Maserati race cars in the thirties hand fitted parts so they didn't need gaskets. Don't know how they sealed the heads unless they used thin copper. Of course the Offenhauser engine didn't need head gaskets either but that used a more radical approach.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I recall reading that Ferraris (of a certain age) used what amounted to beef gelatin as a gasket in several areas. I dimly recall confirming that with a professor at one of the colleges I attended who owned one (250 IIRC) and did most of his own wrenching. The factory manual had a recipie for the stuff.

That's a truly impressive accomplishment. Wonder how much editing of the video was needed where screws got dropped, etc.

OK, I gotta ask: What did Offy use instead of head gaskets? O-rings?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The question is does lowering the center of gravity make up for the weight and mechanical losses of pushrods and rockerarms.

In a car that does more than goes straight-left-straight-left for two hours at a time yes, it does. The more the weight is concentrated at or near the roll center the less the body will roll and the faster the car can transition in the turns. Horsepower helps lap times. A car with gobs of horsepower that cannot put the power to the ground or turn a corner will get beat by a lower horsepower car that can.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Must be for a compact car ................. :neer::rotflmao::rolleyes:
:p:p:p

Wonder why they didn't show him putting in the tiny spark plugs?

All kidding aside, a magnificent job of designing, machining and assembly. My Spanish sucks, but did one of the title cards say it took 1200 hours for this project?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts