Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen--

I am not really into the German Mausers, not that I dont have interest, but at this time, I am into the Garands. My friend came over today with what seems to be a WWII German Mauser. I refinish stocks and he new that I would be able to clean up his rifle without ruining anything. After cleaning it up it really has turned out nice so far.

Now for the questions:

On the left side of the receiver is G.33/40
To the immediate left of the above number is the # 1130, below that # is a German Eagle stamp and a small d
On the top of the receiver is 1942.
Above the 1942 are the letters dot, above that is a German eagle stamp.
Above that eaglestamp is the timing hashmark.

The barrel looks as if it were the original. At the base of the barrel were it meets the receiver is dot 31-41, next is an large oval then there is a set of circles with a 1 in the center on top of a #13. There are two eagle stamps next to that to the right.

On the left side of the barrel is the same 1130 as is stamped on the receiver. Below that number is d then to the right of that is a German eagle stamp. There is another German eagle stamped at the base of the barrel that is the eagle over the # 63. It is stamped 4 times around the barrel.

The same #1130 is found under the grip of the stock, and was also in the front handguard. It is on the bolt also. The butt has a metal cup but what odd is a piece that wraps around the left side of the stock. This piece is screwed in then the metal cup would be fit on. This metal wrap is about 2" wide. The stock is absolutley beautiful. The metal reatains about 90% of its original blueing. There was some minor surface rust that I was able to remove with Breakfree and #0000 steelwool.

I know it a WWII Mauser- but what exactly can you gurus tell me about what I have?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MIke

·
Registered
541 Posts
WOW ! :eek: The 33/40 is rare and highly desired . Drool Drool Drool . I have been looking for one for years .

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The grandson of the vet (23yrs old) sold this rifle for drug money to another person. He then sold it to the guy that I got it from. This guy thought he had a Garand. Don't ask. I know that this is not faked. Will post pics of it later.

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please, please please don't mess with the stock/metal. Use some sudsy water and a sponge if it needs some dirt removed, but don't break out the sandpaper or purple power or god forbid, oven cleaner! :evil:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The 33/40 was issued to paratroopers and mountain troops. Most of the war bringbacks were converted to bubba specials .

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally finished cleaning the G.33/40 that I posted about and I have included a link for you to view the rifle. I want you to pay special attention to the Last photo which, in reality, was the very first photo I took. This shows all of the surface rust on the barrel and the receiver when I first received the rifle. All I did was clean----not refinish---- the stock. There was a lot of grease and grime built up over the years and it look like crap. As I stated, this rifle is all matching and has never been tampered with. I cannot get over the bluing. As I told you, I took #0000 steel wool and soaked it in CLP Breakfree. The whole piece of steel wool turned brown from all the surface rust. I used a white wax crayon to highlight the stamping on the receiver. This is wax and can easily be removed if needed. There was another G.33/40 that I saw at a gunshow today in Indianapolis, it was in good condition, mine specimen is in much better shape. They wanted $900.

http://photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ltcb ... ion=logout

Please tell me your overall opinion---

Thanks-

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts