Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...in the next month or so. Modified, light duty, to be sure. But back to work and Hallelujah!

Our new sheriff allows the carry of the sidearm of choice. Mine? I always thought it would be my 1911. But now I am strongly considering my Model 19. It actually carries easier on my hip that the 1911 does on hip or shoulder holster. I will be desk bound,so hi-cap just isn't a factor as far as I'm concerned...and probably isn't in most instances if they actually taught and required marksmanship in LE circles these days. And I can hit with it. Decades of revolver shooting is apparently still hard wired in this old farts brain.

Every time I've been to a qualification, these youngsters have targets that look like Swiss Cheese, and a majority of them are lucky to score mid-70's. I swear their answer to a shooting problem is to just throw more bullets in the general direction of the target in hopes of hitting something. Maybe if they were limited to a six round cylinder, they would actually look at their front sight and press....

Rant over. Sorry about that...:grumble:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Jeff Cooper frequently noted and commented on poor police marksmanship so you're in good company. A Model 19 is an excellent choice except for two attributes of .357 Magnum. The muzzle flash when fired at night is dazzling, and the muzzle blast when fired indoors is disorienting. These only matter if you have to fire the gun which is unlikely.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I was planning on carrying Remington's 158 grain Lead SWC Hollowpoints. They're rated + P (whatever THAT really means) and according to a lot of sources perform pretty well.

But I've been to enough autopsies to know that it's NOT what you shoot'em with...it's WHERE you shoot'em.

I've seen people killed with .22's, .25's, .32's, .380's, 9mm's, 357 SIG's and .45ACP hardball. The one thing they had in common was that the fatal bullets struck the brain or the heart. Every time.

Absolutely conclusive? Hell, no! But awful convincing.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Too much time on steel reaction targets perhaps?

Geoff
Who knows his own marksmanship needs professional fine tuning...so many needs so little money.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Bro Mas has also noted an apparent relationship between a firearm's ammo capacity and accuracy.
----
BTW, congrats on getting back into harness (hopefully ;) ). After a while, Home Sweet Home can start feeling like a cell...

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Good Luck IC! "Getting out" is indeed a great feeling.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Good luck back on duty, Irish Cop. Good to know you're healing up.
Hope you had a nice Turkey Day!:D

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Irish,

obviously, i'm PLEASED that you're healing up BUT all this time i thought you were an "retired OF" like me????

btw, if i had my way, we would go back to REQUIRING every LEO to carry/qualify with a S&W/Colt/Ruger .38SPL/.357MAG, 4" revolver
AND
only be able to carry a SA if you can convince the Chief, Sheriff, Constable or Director that you can shoot it WELL & LEGITIMATELY qualify with it.
(all too many officers today "qualify with a ballpoint pen".)

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Oh happy day...:p

You'll get no argument from me over your choice of either gun or ammo or your autopsy observations. For years my former pd kept records of the firearms most used in homicides.... #1 was the .22, #2 was 12 ga. It may be different now since the bangers seem to prefer 9s.

I don't know if I was the first to say it but my answer to magazine capacity questions has always been, "are you planning on missing a lot?":rolleyes:

Keep us posted Terry.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Good for you, Terry, and I'll bet your lovely wife will be happy to have you out from under foot... :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Congrats, IC, and best wishes in your return to duty.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Good for you. Just remember, your stamina probably still isn't what it used to be yet.

I wouldn't worry about what to carry. As noted, if'n ya hit them in the right place, bargeloads of ammo aren't really necessary. Comforting, but not necessary, unless something really wierd happens.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Missing is definitely NOT in my game plan, but the thought of ending up with more bad guys than bullets makes me sad...:sad:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for the encouragement. (And yeah, Walt, she's tickled to death to get me outta the house. If I were the suspicious type...;))

Still have to get the surgeon for my right leg to sign off. My left hip surgeon provisionally okayed it pending right leg guys okay. :rolleyes:

My liaison for worker's comp has been in touch with my chief deputy, and as long as I can drive myself to and from work and get around in walker and/or wheelchair, they're ready for me. My partner is bring a Crown Vic to my house this coming week so I can work out the bugs of getting in and out. I see my surgeon on Dec 16th.

Every time I've gone to the office my spirits have lifted and I feel energized just being around the guys and engaging in cop talk.

Mr. Moore, I appreciate it. I know I have to watch it. But I will be doing administrative stuff, and leading CID sitting down (my favorite position!). I figure I'll be worn out by Friday...:D

Thanks Charlie! Can't tell you how much your support has meant.

S.W., I'm kinda on my second career...I'm 57 and 18 years into my civilian L.E. job. I'd like to squeeze 25 out of it for retirement pay reasons...:D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm glad to hear you are doing well IC. I know what a drag it can be to be laid up for an extended period of time. On another note how is that USFA single action treating you? Did you have anymore problems with it? I guess I was lucky with mine no glitches yrt.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I know what you mean, I retired 3 years ago and opened my own firearms training company, I mostly teach military and cops and assist Mas if he needs it.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
IrishCop,

just 57YY? = OK, we'll make you an HONORARY "experienced OF"!

fwiw, i've being recruited to be a member of The TX Border Volunteer Service, who help out our Ranger Recon Bn & BP agents with recon & LE on south TX ranches. - virtually all of the group are retired LEO and/or retired armed services folks.
(the standing joke around here is that if you aren't at least an E-9 retired or a police CPT retired that they won't even make you a private in the force. - it's the most OVER-qualified bunch that i've seen lately.- the overall commander is a former Senior Captain of the Rangers & the local captain here in the SATX area is a retired Marine 06, who holds the Navy Cross from RVN.)

BEST WISHES & BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad to hear you are doing well IC. I know what a drag it can be to be laid up for an extended period of time. On another note how is that USFA single action treating you? Did you have anymore problems with it? I guess I was lucky with mine no glitches yrt.
Bearcat, I got my USFA back from Longhunter's in March of this year. To say I was impressed would be an understatement! They re-timed the revolver, squared and re-cut the forcing cone, replaced the hand spring with a Ruger style and widened the rear sight notch, all for $200! I haven't had a moments problem with it since.

Oh, and that square range trip I took a while back? Well, along with My S&W Models 19 & 27, the only other gun of mine which hit consistently on Pepper Poppers at 70 yards was my USFA! You coulda knocked me over with a feather!

(Actually, I think someone did...fell flat on my butt trying to transfer from my walker to a little stool! More funny and embarrassing than anything else...):p

1 - 20 of 84 Posts