Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I recently changed my carry pistol from a G27 to a G36. The ammo I had available at the moment to feed my little plastic 45 was 185gr Silvertips.

As reliability check I shot a box of 25: They worked 100%. So... that's what's in it right now.

:?: I don't know what the jacket of the Silvertip is made of. Any of you know if it would represent a problem with the particular rifling on my Austrian's barrell? Let me know.

Cheers,
8)

Nemo
(no one)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Silver tips are no problem in a Glock barrel. I believe the jacket is aluminum. Only lead presents a problem in Glock barrels.

·
Registered
855 Posts
As I recall, there are actually two metals used for the Silvertip jackets. Lower velocity cartridges like the .380, .38 Special, .44 Special, and .45 Auto use aluminum for the jacket, as Mr. Bellino correctly notes. The higher velocity rounds like the .41 and .44 Magnums use a plated copper jacket. I think the plating is a zinc alloy, but I'm a little hazy here.

Regardless, Silvertips should be perfectly safe to fire in your Glock, or in any modern firearm in good condition, for that matter.

You may want base your conclusion on 100% reliability on a larger sample size and shoot a few more boxes. Not that I anticipate that your Glock will have any problems. It is just good practice to run a good number of rounds of defensive ammo through a pistol before carrying it for serious work. Consider it cheap insurance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx!

Thank you very much for your responses.

I'll definitelly shoot some more to get a representative sample.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
8)
Nemo

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It is my understanding that there are actually several variations in the jacket material. As stated the .32 is aluminum but the others are all variations of copper alloys and plated as Rob said. I'm not sure about the .380, but know that the others do not contain aluminum at all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
185 grain Silvertips

work just fine for me in a Kimber Ultra Carry and SA Lightweight Compact - both in .45ACP.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
This weekend I was CRO on the Five to Glock (3 X 10 rounds) stage of the Long Island Classic GSSF Match.

Saturday, I ran a young Federal agent through with an issue Model 22 and Speer 165-grain Gold Dot HPs. On one string he experienced two (2) failures to fire, expertly performed a T-R-B, and finished the course of fire after a necessitated reload.

When the ejected rounds were retrieved, each displayed a lightly-dimpled primer with an off-center strike. This was witnessed by a dozen GSSF shooters.

It was not ascertained why the gentleman's Glock attempted to fire out of battery (dirty chamber, burr in chamber, etc.) as he declined to present his weapon and the unfired rounds to the attending armorer, citing his need to return the pistol to his Quantico section first thing Monday, apparently an agency directive. (I subsequently learned from a source in Virginia that all firearms work has to be performed at Quantico or there are significant repercussions if they let an outside armorer or 'smith touch the gun!)

Sunday on the same stage, another Federal agent firing a personally-owned Model 21 experienced another FTF which was "solved" by a T-R-B. This one displayed a v-e-r-y light and almost perfectly centered "dimple" in the (relatively) new Winchester 185-grain "conical" target load. The shooter himself called it an "out-of-battery" strike.

It's interesting, because certain of the Kool Aid Crew and one wack job who's been flagged from almost as many forums as have I, insist that it is impossible for any "post-upgrade" Glock to fire while out-of-battery.

When it occurred with me 'n' my (pre-upgrade) Model 21 back in '92 (herein documented), it was assumed, because Glock told us so, that such an event was no longer possible with the replacement of those six parts. Two different Glocks, two different models, both of recent vintage… a total of three (3) dimpled primers!

O, well…

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife has a Glock model 27. This pistol being so small shooting such a snappy cartridge is recoil-heavy and is especially sensitive to limp-wristing.

If you should limp wrist the pistol on shot number 4, shot number 5 almost always will be a failure to fire. Ejecting the cartridge reveals an off-center, light strike. This indicates to me that the pistol is attempting to fire while SLIGHTLY out of battery. The pistol is all stock and is of EWR vintage.

EDIT

No, her pistol is not in the "affected" range according to Glock, Inc.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Here's another point to ponder:

I have observed with some polymer frame pistols where the slide bounces back to a slightly out of battery position after first closing properly. This seems to be a sign of a recoil spring that is weaker than normal. I've observed this on both Glock & S&W pistols and replacement of the recoil spring assembly corrected the problem immediately.

I'm sure that the flex experienced by the polymer frame is a contribting factor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts