Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a side project for my P.D. We currently carry both the S&W 4043 and 4053 DAO's (some guys like a lighter gun, really!). The guns are getting old and replacement parts are getting harder to come by. The surrounding towns all carry the Glock 22. We have mutual aid with the surrounding towns for rapid response, active shooter, backup, etc.......I am looking for any pros or cons on the magazine disconnect safety, hand sizing, and any P.D's that have recently switched from S&W to glock and why. I am dealing with an administration that is slow to accept change so I need a convincing arguement. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
"parts are getting hard to come by"

Really? S&W still makes very similar models and many parts are the same.

Please tell me what parts you can't get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The armorer for my dept. and one of the neighboring towns stated to me that they had trouble finding parts for the specific guns that we carry. They did not state what parts they were.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
IMX S&W has been good about keeping spares for guns long after they are discontinued. It would be interesting to know more if you have a chance.

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My armorer is out on vacation for the school week (he is also the school resourse officer) but from what I can remember he stated that there were some parts that he was having trouble getting for the 4043. He also mentioned that the leather gear (safariland 070) was also getting hard to find. Regardless the main reason that I'm working on this project is because every surrounding town carries the glock 22 and we have mutual aid compacts with each of the towns for various things. We have been working on making all of our equipment the same thoughout the four towns and we all conduct the rapid response/active shooter drills together as a team. I will pass on the Information to the armorer about the place for parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since you mention the mutual aid agreement, I understand your concern with the ability to switch magazines and ammo during a fight. If you are going to make a switch, don't get tunnel vision with just the Glock. There are some other good choices out there. Do yourself a favor and do a good T&E of the weapons prior to making the chioce. What works for one department might not be good for yours. You may find some others out there that might be better for your department. Don't get me wrong, I love Glocks, I own several.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In one word: GLOCK. Read my post on "Gun Zone"/Glock 37.
There will a small amount of retraining involved but that will be
minimal. Pretty easy stuff the average officer to master. Things
will acually be easier. No worries about safety position or hammer
drop etc... My opinions come from experience. But in the end the
decision is yours.

("yote")
Navy Special Warfare Group Two
Team Four
Little Creek VA.
1979 to 1994
(Finnishing out my 20yrs in the Reserves)
Tired of getting shot at!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts