Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The memory isn't what it used to be, I vaguely recall that Gold Dots needed a different seating stem that contacted the bullet at the bottom of the cavity. I don't see these anywhere anymore. Is my memory playing tricks, have there been changes or am I not looking in the right spots?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I've never heard of that and certainly never used or seen one. Every Gold Dot bullet I've used... which represents every caliber they make... has done just fine with the standard round nose seating plug.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate that Charlie. I wish I could remember which esteemed gun scribe suggested that back when the product was introduced. (Allegedly, since the jacket was plated, seating pressure should be exerted at the base of the cavity.) I do remember seeing the seating stems offered in some catalog. I kinda wondered just how much of all of it was moonshine, but really didn't care, since I never used the product. However, I'm now tooled up to load 10mm for my retired service pistol and am considering the GDs.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I actually was at Speer prior to the introduction and spent time with the engineer who designed them.

Did geltain tests both there and at home and have loaded a bunch of them with no special stuff.

I suppose if one negleceted to expand the case mouth and then tried to jam a bullet it you might be able to damage it.

FWIW I think the Gold Dot is one of the best of the new designs and have no reservation about using them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts