Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an invitation today to interview for a sales position at the local Ford dealer. The invitation made it sound very attractive. I'm wondering if this is a good time to get into that line of work. I think I'll go hear what they have to say, but I really wonder.

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Car sales Cretan: Person who rips people off and splits the money with a car dealer. Cross reference evil fiends out of Hades.

Geoff
Who notes he will never convict anyone for assaulting a Dodge dealer or someone from Autonation, which seems to have taken over many Ford Dealers.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Dunno if car sales folks are stepchildren to Satan, but it is a high pressure business, like all straight or mostly commission positions.

Having said that, I know several folks who have done quite well; another plus is that in some cases you get a demo to drive.

Depending on the ownership, of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Car Dealers have spent the decades since WWII buying laws from negotiable politicians. Allegedly one CA Porsche Dealer replaced more customer Fuel-Injection systems than Porsche ever made. When Porsche tried to dump the whole corrupt dealer network they were told it was impossible under State Laws.
The Mfg needs to get money to pay for the manufacture, materials, bribes, support of workers retirements and health care, executive bonus' and a few cents per share to the stock holding companies, individual stock holders don't matter much. This computes out to the price to the Dealer.
The Dealer adds up his costs, including stock holders if any, bribes and all that other stuff including a really big slice for complying with Federal, State and local rules, and greasing the thugs from the Government with their hands out. Don't EVER forget the political donations at all levels. He computes a price he needs to get for each vehicle.
The car sales rep tries to talk the victim into paying MORE than the Dealer necessity price and splits the take with the dealer and makes his kick-back to the manager under the table to keep his soft cushy job.
Rules are different for the off-spring of the owner.
Geoff
Who notes the above view represents the cynical POV, of someone who woke up badly on a bad Monday morning and who is heading into HARDWARE HELL at work. Your Mileage May Vary depending on conditions and how much water the .Gov has mandated be put in your fuel mixed with expensive alcohol to keep the engine more or less running, preferably into the ground so you need to buy a NEW IMPROVED GOVERNMENT MOTORS VOLT! Obama's favorite car, which the Secret Service will not allow him to drive. Cross reference LBJ and the Lincoln Convertibles.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
There's at least one local dealer-he owns several dealerships, so it just isn't one dealership-who makes a point of advertising that his sales people are on salary.

Also bear in mind that about every dealership now has an internet sales manager who's advertising and selling cars for a couple grand less than the guys in the showroom are willing to sell one to you as a walkin.

I can recall telling one salesman decades back that I didn't mind them making a fair profit, but that I wasn't supporting the dealership for the week. I didn't buy. The guy had left me alone in his office to attend a meeting called by the head honcho. I saw, and consulted, a book on his shelves that gave me the actual dealer price and MSRP of the car I wanted. Much more interesting were the foot notes that told me that (at least in 1974) the factory paid for shipping and dealer prep. But, somehow, those both appeared in the price estimate to me as additional costs.

Just saw the date of the OP- What'd you decide?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just saw the date of the OP- What'd you decide?
The guy who interviewed me was an outside "hired gun" from out of state, and what I'd call a "slicky boy." I wouldn't have bought a car from him, and so decided I didn't want to buy a career (or even a job) from him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts