Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HARTFORD, Conn. - The families of nine of the 26 people killed and a teacher wounded two years ago at the Sandy Hook Elementary School filed a lawsuit Monday against the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the rifle used in the shooting.

The negligence and wrongful death lawsuit, filed in Bridgeport Superior Court, asserts that the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle should not have been made publicly available because it was designed for military use and is unsuited for hunting or home defense.

"The AR-15 was specifically engineered for the United States military to meet the needs of changing warfare," attorney Josh Koskoff said in a release. "In fact, one of the Army's specifications for the AR-15 was that it has the capability to penetrate a steel helmet."

In addition to Bushmaster, the defendants are Camfour, a firearm distributor, and Riverview Gun Sales, the East Windsor store where the gunman's mother purchased the Bushmaster rifle in 2010.
Families of Newtown shooting victims sue gunmaker, seller | Fox News

I'm left speechless at this.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Several years ago we had a person break into a sporting goods store and steal an AR 15 which he used to kill a man. The victims family sued the store saying the gun was not well enough secured. The court told them to go pound sand.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
This is a tough case because if it goes before a jury, it's REALLY easy to get a jury sympathetic over a bus load of dead Kindergartners. It should have no standing and never make it in front of a jury, but that remains to be seen.

Unfortunately we live in a society where if something bad happens, someone expects (rightfully or wrongfully) to be compensated.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hmmmm. One of the basis for the complaint is that the AR-15 was "...designed for military use...capable of penetrating a steel helmet."

Pretty sure that at the range those poor kids were shot any centerfire handgun cartridge would penetrate an old GI "steel helmet".

I have nothing but sorrow for the people who lost children and loved ones to an obviously disturbed and mentally/emotionally challenged (Asperger's Syndrome)
young man.

BUT THE GUN (AND IT'S MANUFACTURERS) HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!

It's going to depend on the judge presiding, and the effectiveness of the attorney(s) representing Bushmaster, if it comes to court.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The attorney vamping for the press (and the jury pool) isn't the same thing as the specifics of the suit. As for the steel helmet, that's vamping again. That's part of the ammo spec for the M855 round, not for the rifle itself. Although the plaintiffs counsel may not know the difference. He certainly doesn't care [those who claim a good shoot is a good shoot= no problems need to take note.].

Based upon the premise of the presumed legal principle of fault, any auto maker who makes a vehicle that can go fast enough to cause physical harm could be held liable for accidental injury. The makers of kitchen knives would be responsible for accidental injuries etc. There would be serious interest amoung many firms and industry groups concerned about this who would file friend of the court briefs in support of Bushmaster, et al.

I expect that they're trying to establish the principle that the AR pattern rifle is, in and of itself, unreasonably dangerous and should be banned. If the suit isn't thrown out, it's going to be a hard, very long slog through the court system that's going to take years-if not decades- and major bucks. That said, I have to wonder who's bankrolling the suit. THAT could be very interesting.

Strictly from a legal standpoint-assuming the judge isn't biased toward the alleged legal principle trying to be established-the case should be dismissed with prejudice.

Note: the "settlement" in the Malvo case was "go away and don't bother us" money. It also dawns that the plantiffs attorney may simply be in it for the "go away and don't bother us" money, and the plaintiffs won't see a dime.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You don't need a vehicle that will do 100MPH when the speed limit is 65 or 75. So let's put governors on everybody' car except for law enforcement. Same logic as assault weapons ban. People would really squeal about that one.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If I win the lotto tomorrow night can I sue all the plaintiffs for attempting to infringe my constitutional rights by legal harassment and nuisance suit?

Geoff
Who would, really he would.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Families of Newtown shooting victims sue gunmaker said:
"The AR-15 was specifically engineered for the United States military to meet the needs of changing warfare," attorney Josh Koskoff said in a release. "In fact, one of the Army's specifications for the AR-15 was that it has the capability to penetrate a steel helmet."
Oh, well, I think maybe my Winchester 94AE in .30-30 will penetrate a steel helmet.
As for "engineered for the ... military," a lot of weapons were. The most common weapon issued to soldiers during the 20th century was a bolt-action rifle.
Then there ARE a few pesky differences between the Bushmaster AR-15 and the military's guns ...like the lack of full auto ability. I could repeat a lot of technobabble from the famous "mil-spec." chart but I think I will cut the lawyers a little slack.

I have a feeling this lawsuit won't go too far ....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As I recall there was a Federal law passed a few years ago to shield legal gun makers from this foolishness.
As soon as it gets to a judge who actually knows the law and doesn't think he can we-write it to be more Progressive, the whole thing gets pitched.

In a better world, the people filing nonsense harassment suits would be required to pay all costs and their lawyers would be disbarred.

Meantime, Remington has to pay out money for lawyers to defend against a suit that should not even be allowed to be filed at all.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
A member of the Supreme Court has already declared that the law no longer matters, only her emotional response matters.
Geoff
Who notes that's the "new normal" (TM)

·
Registered
387 Posts
POTUS has set the lead on ignoring laws and pushing through what the people want VS what HE wants....the door is wide-open. Funny thing about liberals, when that swinging door comes back at them, they get a little pissy....just watch the news over the Sony hackers and the media releasing what was hacked...like piranhas, they smell blood in the water and feed upon themselves in the frenzy.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
To ALL,

I, for just one person, can hardly wait for 21JAN17 when we will likely have a more DECENT & HONORABLE person as resident in the WH, rather than the thoroughly amoral LYING SWINE who currently INFESTS it.

ImVho, BHO is LESS competent than Jimmy Carter was AND much LESS honest/honorable than Richard Nixon was.

just my OPINION, sw

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's the 1/2 white-house SW...js

1 - 13 of 13 Posts