Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT? No "Rides" Forum?!?

Oh well here goes anyway!

Here is my Great Escape Bike... thought Steve McQueen's was a Bonniville TTSpecial this is close enough.

2005 Triumph Thruxton 900 (with some minor modifications)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I dunno, but one of my drivers sez there are two kinds of bikers...

Those that ride Harleys and those that want to... :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What kind was McQueen?
Probably the kind that would prefer to ride his bike rather than trailer it.

I had no idea that McQueen had been a lumberjack, a janitor in a brothel or a Marine for that matter.

The man lived a full life, albeit a short one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Walt,

Got rid of a HD Road King Police Special before I got this. I got to old for the HD. Nice ride for long trips but around town it sucked, too big and heavy.

When I road the Thruxton home from Gainsville I had that "First Time Every On A Motorcycle" feeling again... it was FUN AGAIN! Over the last two years I've gotten more comments about it that all the years I had a HD. Even HD riders comment on it at Bike Nights or when they pull up next to me. I really can't go anywhere without someone inquiring about it.

What I like about it is that you don't see them often (Triumph Classics). I'm always "Odd Man Out" at events... I go to a few Bike Nights and I'm always the only Triumph. Also ride with a couple Sports Bike Groups... 5 - 9 Ninja Style Bikes and me. :mrgreen:

Just like this Bike Night Photo.... Where's Waldo?!?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I was, of course, kidding about the Harley.

My last bike was an 850 Norton Commando and the 2 guys that work with me have a BSA and a V-Max respectively. One of them just bought a used Harley as a second bike, you know, so he could ride with the "Harley People".

We've been wearing him out... :)

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
GySchmit,

i THINK that Steve McQueen's GE bike was a BSA but i'm not at all sure.

i CAN tell you that it was HIS bike.

(off the subject): Chief Brody's Garand in JAWS was HIS own personal rifle, bought in the '60s from DCM.

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
GySchmit,

GOOD ON YA! = in that case the note from my buddy is wrong. MEA CULPA!

yours, sw

·
Registered
120 Posts
As some of you know, my work relating to intellectual properties prevents me from copying and reproducing photos from other people's and organizations' websites over which I (and sometimes even they) have no rights. But if you go on line and search around, you will find a number of wonderful shots of Mr. McQueen and his Triumph when he was part of the US Team during the Six Day Trials overseas at a time when there was still an Eastern and Western Europe. In fact, it was pretty much at a high point of the Cold War (1964). My favorite is one of him squatting down alongside the bike in jeans and a black T-shirt, looking intent and wrenching away.

Additionally, if you search around, there is a "between takes", non-publicity photo of him (this time half-kneeling) working on a muddly Brit bike in what appears to be inclement weather (something all too familiar to many of us) while filming what appears could be "The War Lover". Also to be found in this manner is an entire series of shots of him looking "way too cool" as he bops around town on still another Triumph (a straight looking commercial bike) during what might have been either his "Bullitt" or maybe the "Thomas Crown" period.

But to me, the best one that you will find is of him, James Garner and James Coburn cycling by (all on one bike with a sidecar) during a break in the filming of "The Great Escape" as John Sturges the director looks on (probably hoping that they'll live long enough to wrap the film). An act that in today's litigious-conscious world might not be allowed regardless of what kinds of completion bonds and insurance policies are required to get anything done.

Years ago, I was in England for some sort of anti-terrorist thing (before we gave much thought to such stuff here) and ran across an old time Triumph dealer out in the middle of nowhere at just about the time they were starting up the name and the line again. The neat thing was that he also had all kinds of older, original bikes that they were rebuilding and restoring for people who, while recognizing the more-than-obvious shortcomings of those designs, still loved riding around on them.

By chance (the place was very busy and had a number of employees helping out with the crowd), the owner of the place stumbled across me and asked if he could help. After finding out that I was from America but actually knew what I was looking at, he spent most of the overcast afternoon showing me what they were doing and letting me "play" with stuff that I thought was all but gone from the face of the earth. And considering that they drive on the opposite side of the road over there (something that almost killed me in both England and Australia on a few occasions), I actually lived to tell the tale. Somewhere I still have a wonderful black polo shirt from that place. I need to go looking for it one of these days.

Triumph: World's Fastest Motorcycle

(Man, I must be getting old!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P,

Have you seen The World's Fastest Indian? Great Flick.

And THIS is WAY KEWL!!!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
GySchmit,

and all this time i thought that the world's fastest Indian was BILLY MILLS.
(who knew? ======>CHUCKLE!)

yours, sw

·
Registered
120 Posts
P,

Have you seen The World's Fastest Indian? Great Flick.

And THIS is WAY KEWL!!!
"GySchmit":

Sometimes I think I have been pretty lucky. I never thought that I'd leave the Midwest let alone be fortunate enough to have been to a few of the places that I've "visited".

Not only did I see the Donaldson/Hopkins film when it came out but I used to work (literally) across the tracks from the original Indian Motorcycle Museum; several iterations ago when it was housed in an out-of-the-way manufacturing building and run by a wonderful old couple who appeared older than many of the items on display but who always took the time to make sure that any questions you had were answered.

It was a great place on, I think, Hendee St. (Of all things!) and it was tucked away behind (or at least, around the corner from) the S&W Academy. One could spend hours there, and often, just with the two of them. It was an amazing place and time. I think that he passed away sometime in the 90's and she donated the collection to Springfield a decade later. I also believe that some part of the collection is now on display in one of the city's own museums.

Additionally, my "work" has not only taken me repeatedly to Nürnberg, where they continue to race in the streets but also to Nürburg, where they race on an amazing track and where the video you linked to was shot. Thanks for providing it. It has been some time since I have given it any thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"GySchmit":

Additionally, my "work" has not only taken me repeatedly to Nürnberg, where they continue to race in the streets but also to Nürburg, where they race on an amazing track and where the video you linked to was shot. Thanks for providing it. It has been some time since I have given it any thought.
Would love to do a few laps around the Nürnbergring.... car or bike... wouldn't matter. Of course my lap time would probably be quite a bit slower!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Would love to do a few laps around the Nürnbergring.... car or bike... wouldn't matter. Of course my lap time would probably be quite a bit slower!
Glad to see you back, Mr. Marlowe.
"GySchmit":

You do know that the public can drive it (the Nürburgring), although some nominal fee (these days maybe more than "nominal" - I don't know) is charged. In theory, I think it is considered to be some sort of toll road. The police used to frown on outright racing (or at least poor or overly aggressive driving although shy of wrecking, one wonders how such things are defined) and I doubt that's changed and while it's certainly not like being out on the track alone, one can still enjoy the ride. Especially as it's a one-way "highway" and cross traffic is not an issue.

By the way, have you ever been to Bonneville (the location that actually started my participation here in this thread)? I have no idea what it's like these days or what kind of signage it has now but you used to be able to just drive down to the end of the road and in something that I think resembled a large circular pad, you could then drive right out on to the salt (or aim the back of your trailer in that direction and roll the "real" vehicle off on to it instead).

Back in what would have been the late 80's or early 90's, they had a big sign there made out of something that wouldn't corrode in the air and among other things etched into it, were the layouts and the rough positions of the various "tracks" that were in use at the time (I think a lot of that has changed for I believe that both the "raceway" and, necessarily, the sign are different). The amusing thing (to me anyway) was the text of the sign back then not only told you how to get to these places but matter-of-factly warned you to watch for cross traffic as it could be travelling at rather high rates of speed. A classical understatement to say the least.

Nice "talking" with you "GySchmit" and "IrishCop", thanks for the welcome back. My schedule can be a little crazy and as such I tend to fade from view every once in a while. I do try to monitor things but I can't always chime in. I always hope that when I can, my contributions are seen as worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
forget the flick for a minute- let's speculate as to what would have been the "ride' had the escapee been able to procure a motorcycle- i was thinking a bmw 75r or possibly a zundapp- any other thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts