Gun Hub Forums banner

Does your Greek return have a barrel date that would indicate a 60's or later rebuild?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading quite a few posts about the Greek returns and one thing I have noticed is that the Greeks weren't very diligent about replacement parts for their Garands. Few have had their barrels replaced and the ones that did seem to be WWII SA's that were post war rebuilds.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Return

I expected worn bore and some rod wear but a SEWER PIPE, NOT !

3 Hours of different cleaning agents, it shined except for the LARGE PITS.

They are described as ruff but not SEWER PIPES. Have had WWI rifles that dident't look that bad.

CMP was not a problem, sent back for replacement and upgrded to a USGI issue. We all know they were cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I was expecting a worn rack grade barrel so I could re-barrel to 308, but to my shock... I got an original LMR barrel on my HRA with tag of "Bore".
The bullet test shows just as much as my VAR with tag reading of 1.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Return

wd0bcx said:
I expected worn bore and some rod wear but a SEWER PIPE, NOT !

3 Hours of different cleaning agents, it shined except for the LARGE PITS.

They are described as ruff but not SEWER PIPES. Have had WWI rifles that dident't look that bad.

CMP was not a problem, sent back for replacement and upgrded to a USGI issue. We all know they were cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned.
Looks like a rifle that should have been disassembled for parts got through. It happens. On the other hand, I have heard MANY more "diamond in the rough" stories than "sewer pipe" stories.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I ordered a Greek RG HRA for my first CMP Garand. It was as I expected, stock was "charachterized" and the bore was dirty. I cleaned on it, not a whole lot, for a few days (a few minutes at a time) and it is bright and clean now.

A few wear spots on the finish and the gas cylinder is worn shiney, other than that I love it.

The barrel is stamped 1-55 so I guess it is the original barrel (it is s/n 55400XX or so).

Great program

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen, it is beginning to appear that the Greeks NEVER replaced a barrel. However, by the number of Rack Grades with dirty bores, it seems that they neither shot nor cleaned them very much.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have two Greek RGs. The first has a 1945 SA receiver with a 1952 SA barrel. The second has a 1954 HRA receiver with 1954 SA barrel. The bores look good and the bullet test left about 1/4" of bullet showing from the muzzle of each.

·
Registered
217 Posts
MY HRA had a HRA barrel but it swallowed a bullet almost to the brass, TE was on the higher side but it had uneven wear at the muzzle,maybe from a cleaning rod?Not good groups and I ran across a pristine HRA barrel so I am going to get it changed out.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
steventNC said:
MY HRA had a HRA barrel but it swallowed a bullet almost to the brass, TE was on the higher side but it had uneven wear at the muzzle,maybe from a cleaning rod?Not good groups and I ran across a pristine HRA barrel so I am going to get it changed out.
I have a Wilson .308 barrel that I zinc parkerized thinking I would use it on my RG but it isn't needed. I'll sell it for what I have into it plus shipping to you. Say $175?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts