Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got ahold of my HRA Greek RG that was brought to me from Perry.. It's a 5,664,617 and has a TE of 3 and a MW of a little less than 2.. original barrel/receiver. with all HRA parts except for a non NM 77 revision SA op rod and a very early -5 SA trigger group. I have a HRA group sitting here :) but I think I'll keep the 77 revision op rod on the rifle.. the wood is another story... it does have tight lock-up but the exterior looks like a tractor drove over it..... the rear handguard is a somewhat decent birch.. the front handguard is an over sized BEECH!!! handguard.....I just threw on a semi-matching stock set and wiped the metal down a tad.. but I'll get to giving it a complete cleaning later tonight....Worth the price for the RG's???? HECK YES!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds nice, I hope to do as good as you when I make the trip to Camp Perry sometime next month. I have a SA SG USGI but would realy like to get an H&R Greek rack grade in the condition you discribed (Good TE & MW).

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Seems all the greek RGs are at least as good as advertised.....
Mine was one marked "Bore" and after cleaning the bore, was a good dolit SG....

A great value...

Decent rifles at old "Blue Sky" prices!

Gerry

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to agree there seems to be a lot of good Greek rifles. I bought a RG at the north store 7/31, cleaned it up, sighted it in and shot it in the Garand match 8/7. It passed my wildest expectations. H&R receiver and barrel, SA trigger group and op rod. I'm going to replace the wood this winter. I want something slimer than Boyd.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Ive customized a Boyds or two ala sander shaper... they come nice...
Can't beat the price.

SA used to sell the oversized stocks as "Super Match" wood!

Best,

Gerry

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOOHOO!!! Got me a winner!! I reassembled my Greek RG using my own birch stock set and didn't bother getting the fouling out of the barrel. (It's soaking now) with my generic handloads (47.0gr IMR4895, M2 bullet) The rifle held the 10 ring slung up in the prone position at 200yds on a SR target.... I'm VERRY Pleased!!! :D

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Glad you got a good one HPS!

Gerry

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm sending my paperwork in the mail in the morning for a Greek rack grade. Hope I get that lucky with the one I receive as you did with yours. I'm new to the Garand and have learned a lot just from this board in the past month or so. May get a Service grade later,I've heard that the Garand becomes an addiction. Hope I can be strong. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts