Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Greek SG HRA arrived and for the most part all appears OK. The stock is of the blonde variety ( I guess Euro Beech ). Amazingly enough it looks like it was taken from th fab shop and not even sanded smooth. It is over size and pretty rough, looks like a hasty job of lets throw a stock on this so we can return it. Has anyone else experienced this? I plan on sanding it down a try to make it look respectable.

Thanks in advance for any tips or hints with this...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I bought a SG Greek HRA at the north store with the same type of blond stock and hand guards. I believe the wood is birch. The european beech is a little darker and has light specks in it. I have seen both sanded out and refinished and they look good if properly done. I just bought an H&R M12 .22 cal. target rifle at the CMP north store and it has the same blond birch wood. I intend to try some dark walnut stain on it after sanding to see how it looks. Depending on how that turns out, I may try the same thing on my M1 stock.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I got one just like that , it's so chubby it makes a Boyd stock look svelt by comparison , but to it's credit it does have enough wood where it ought to . When I get time to do so I should be able to sand off all the stuff Maxxos Zappa carved in his spare time and still have a good bit of stock left 8)

Jack

·
Registered
539 Posts
I saw a bunch of those Greeks at the north store today that had those fat stocks. Didn't feel right to me. But that's fine because I wasn't looking at buying one anyway. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Whip,
How did the rest of the rilfe look? Do you know the TE & MW? Bore look good?
Just curious, as I just snail mailed a oder in 2 days ago for a Greek RG.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't know about the TE, but ever Greek I put the muzzle gauge in yesterday except one (even in the SG) was a 2+. A guy I met there who was also there for the first time agreed that the Greeks appeared to all be candidates for rebuilds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't gotten to then bore yet. The CMP didn't id the TE and MW on this rifle like they did on my Dane, so I will have to take it somewhere to find out.The front hand guard looks pretty good and is a dark walnut, the rear hand guard is pretty banged up and is a light walnut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts