Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Via the social network and friends I hear of a drama that's still playing out as I post this. Teenager in Konawa (about 10 miles from where I live) was being transported to city jail when he escapes, grabs an officer's handgun, fires at the officer and runs. Word is the officer wasn't hit and the kid is now holed up in a house. I don't know what kind of holsters the Konawa cops carry, but wouldn't a quality retention holster have prevented this?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
bestseller92v2.0 said:
I don't know what kind of holsters the Konawa cops carry, but wouldn't a quality retention holster have prevented this?
Not really enough info to hazard a guess... but probably.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Not necessarily, there's no commentary upon relative sizes, ages, was the officer trained in weapon retention, etc that can affect the results of a gun grab. Recall that the mechanism has to such as to allow the owner to present the weapon with life saving speed, it's not a bank vault.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
There may be types of retention holsters I am unaware of, but most of the holsters I've actually seen have some type of "button" which is actually a lever which releases a tab that holds the firearm inside the holster. These types of holsters seem pretty easy to operate and unless things were phrenetic I can see how a reasonably smart person might be able to figure out how they work without much thought.
On the other hand I admit I have not paid much attention to the kinds of holsters police use and they may more sophisticated types with mechanisms I am unfamiliar with; I'll have to pay closer attention to this the next time I spot a uniformed officer.
However, as William Moore stated above, we're not talking "bank vault" here anyway.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Word is the situation has been resolved and the perpetrator taken to jail; to the best of my knowledge no one was injured. Konawa is a small town and I suspect that officers must purchase their own weapons and gear, so I have no idea what the officer was carrying or what he was carrying it holstered in. I would think that a holster designed for retention might at least lessen the chances of a successful gun grab, though, as mentioned before, the training and vigilance of the officer would be critical factors as well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When my department used to actually send me to training for stuff like this, we would practice against other officers. I never ran into a "secure" holster I couldn't defeat after just minimal practice. Holster have improved a little bit since then though. Of course, if it's totally "grab" proof, the officer is not going to be able to get it out in time to do anything useful with it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
As someone who was issued a Jordan Border Patrol holster, almost anything available today counts as a retention holster. The more retention features, the harder it is for the officer to draw, especially under pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts