Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Not an understatement.

The article is a bit light on details, but then I'm pretty sure the cops aren't releasing many.

My cop mind clicked on a theory or two, but WAY too little is known for me to say anything.

Wonder who called 911?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder who called 911?
My impression from one of the articles I read was that he showed up at a neighbor's, claiming he'd just shot somebody, and the neighbor called. But the "press" being what it is today, who knows?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
This is quite a shock. I've always enjoyed reading his articles. I hope the charges prove to be untrue, and that the shooting was somehow justified.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Nothing on the net but speculation other than the linked article.

Sounds like the usual Shut Up Lawyer Up Follow Lawyers Orders drill.

Anyone familiar with AZ laws in these cases?

A curiosity, 18 years in the USMC and an honorable discharge, not retirement?

Odd, not even reserve time to get a pension? Or did the Bio get it wrong?

Geoff
Who is a curious fellow.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nothing on the net but speculation other than the linked article.

Sounds like the usual Shut Up Lawyer Up Follow Lawyers Orders drill.

Anyone familiar with AZ laws in these cases?

A curiosity, 18 years in the USMC and an honorable discharge, not retirement?

Odd, not even reserve time to get a pension? Or did the Bio get it wrong?

Geoff
Who is a curious fellow.
Do you know when he separated, Skeptic? I got out of the USAF at 18 years in 1992. There was a force reduction, and volunteers to leave were given a nice chunk of change to get out early. I believe it was a military wide deal, but I'm not sure. I knew I wanted a career in civilian LE, and after 12 years in North Dakota, with little chance of a change of station, the wife and I jumped at the chance.

I knew several guys who had their 20 or more in who took it. They were all divorced, and by law their exes would get HALF of their retirement pay. No such provision for the separation money. :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Never mind, Skeptic. I got off my lazy butt (well...not literally) and checked him out. Got out in 1996 it said. Don't know if that program was still in force by then or not. USAF actually had to start turning folks down cause they filled their quota by the end of '92, early '93 if memory serves.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Apparently there was alcohol involved. That could explain a lot. Too bad. :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know Richard Venola personally

He was my Platoon Commander at TOW Plt, 6th Marines. He was a Lt. then. The best officer I knew. He did have an eccentric side, but he always knew how to think outside of the box. I was called to his office one day. When I entered, he was reading Joffre in the original French. Said it spoke to him more clearly that way! He had spent some time during J-School in Pakistan during the early 80's-I don't know if he made his way over into Afghanistan, but knowing him he would try it. As for him being charged with murder, it does not change what I think of him. He will always be Lt. Venola to me. I hope he can beat these charges and walk...

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Five voting for acquittal sounds promising. I doubt the state can get a conviction on second trial, either.

I believe this is the first time we heard any of the "facts" of the case. First time I've heard them, anyway. Story sounds plausible to me. I've been around plenty of people who have turned nasty, paranoid, and possibly dangerous after a few drinks. Probably most members of the jury have been as well.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It's hard to imagine him taking the stand unless his attorney was confident that his story was solid and couldn't be picked apart by the DA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts