Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2000 I got an H&R M1 from CMP with a 1942 SA Barrel. Any ideas how this could happen. The barrel was obviouly reparked some where along the line.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Most likely an armorer had a NOS or serviceable old barrel laying around when that rifle came in with a worn out barrel. It is possible to find pretty much anything on any rifle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
H & R did use SA barrels in the serial number range of 5.75 to 5.77. Both the SA barrels and the LMR barrels they used will have the punch mark in the loop of the P which could be just before the drawing number on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is in the 4.7 Mill range. It's buried in the back of my safe so I don't know about the punch marks. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Odds are that barrel was installed during the moid-60s rebuild program. Year didn't matter, only servicability. If it was good it was used. To Armorers, parts were parts. Probably came off a Garand with a stretched or otherwise damaged receiver.

The SA barrels used by HRA were all 52-53 dated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
H & R did use SA barrels in the serial number range of 5.75 to 5.77. Both the SA barrels and the LMR barrels they used will have the punch mark in the loop of the P which could be just before the drawing number on the barrel.
"In the loop of the P"?? What "P" please?? Thanks. I have a 1955 h&r Garand with a 1944 GI Springfield barrel. CMP category. +0.1 throat & muzzle gauged. Please explain what I have. Thanks.
WTF is "the loop of the P" please??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts