Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else catch the premiere episode the other night? I was sucked in by the promos showing star Cathy Bates waving around a classic old Smith M19.

Pretty entertaining as far as colorful characters, interesting situations, and witty, sharp dialog. The thing has an obvious and heavy-handed liberal bent, though. And I wonder how serious they are about getting ratings/audience when in the very first show they take a deep dig at Republicans in general and Rush Limbaugh by name. Regardless of my politics, I wouldn't want to risk alienating millions of potential viewers like that. Just doesn't seem smart. :ehsmile:

Also, the show seems to be yet another Liberal Lawyer's Wet Dream about The Judicial/Court System on Planet Smart-Ass. I've been in a few courtrooms on various matters over my life and I have never seen anything remotely like that sort of behavior. In fact, I'd expect any real lawyer who said or did anything like the characters on these shows to be slapped with contempt of court in about four seconds.

Yet another show where we are asked to suspend disbelief and believe Seven Impossible Things in each segment. I thought that's what Road Runner cartoons were for. [Sigh.]

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yup. Pretty much nailed it. Only time I have ever seen "spirited dialogue"'between the bench and council resulted in council having to find another line of work for six months.

Wifey even commented on the "way to cut your ratings in half" when the Rush comment came up.

Frankly instead of the real smart ass comments I would prefer to see them write a character as a very erudite and dry person who used Mark Twain and Will Rodgers like wit to deal with adversity

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Meant to catch this but forgot. :ek: Doesn't appear I missed a lot. :roll:
Anyone recall the snarky comment about Rush-bo?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TommyGunn said:
Meant to catch this but forgot. :ek: Doesn't appear I missed a lot. :roll:
Anyone recall the snarky comment about Rush-bo?
Something about, "Back when there were still some thinkers in the Republican party, before it was taken over by Rush Limbaugh." Completely gratuitous and not necessary to the plot in any way.

You can watch it online, or if you have on-demand on your cable TV system, NBC has their shows on there.

It was entertaining. I liked the characters and snappy dialog. Didn't like the heavy-handed liberalism. They weren't even subtle about it. And of course the courtroom scenes were basically sci-fi.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Thanks. I think I'll pass. Most TV shows I watch seem to be ones I've watched for awhile. NCIS, CSI, things like that, or new versions of older ones like V & Hawaii Five-0.
Thank G-d for DVD releases of old shows!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Snake45 said:
Also, the show seems to be yet another Liberal Lawyer's Wet Dream about The Judicial/Court System on Planet Smart-Ass.
You mean like LA Law or The Practice or Ally McBeal or Boston Legal?

All created by David E. Kelley (also the creator of this) :shocked: say it isn't so?

Much the problems mentioned here are also mentioned on his Wiki page ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_E._Kelley#Critiques

·
Registered
541 Posts
Notice EVERY abulance cha........ er Lawyer on TV is idealistic ,heroic,compashionate, cares nothing about money and tend to look like movie stars.
Yep SciFi is much more plausible.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scramasax said:
...and tend to look like movie stars.
I'll have to give Harry's Law points on that one. None of the lawyers on there (so far) looks like a movie star, including frumpy movie star Cathy Bates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Second episode: More Of The Same. No swipes at Rush Limbaugh this time, but still an upfront, undisguised liberal agenda. They don't seem to be anti-gun, though. "Harry" shot a rat in her office (!) and little if anything was said about it.

Still, engaging characters and clever dialog, and overall pretty entertaining.

They used the "a-hole" word--the whole word--for the second straight time in this episode. I think that's a first for broadcast network TV.

I read last week that only six episodes have been shot. As long as it stays entertaining, I'll stay with it that long, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now up to, I think, episode 8.

Still quite lib-slanted (though not as badly as the first episode), and the timing/pacing of events is in the sci-fi arena, but I gotta admit, I'm finding it very entertaining.

Good writing, good acting, snappy dialog, interesting characters, engaging story lines. Really, I don't ask for much more from TV than that (although some truth every now and then is nice, too). I wouldn't be surprised to see Kathy Bates get an Emmy nomination for this, possibly some of the other actors as well. And maybe a writer or two.

Very, very, very entertaining. Snakeworthy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts