Gun Hub Forums banner

Has the Outsider Been Out-Scooped?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  petej88 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I dropped in at GlockTalk, and it appears the author of the article is not exactly standing by his story.

Last November, the same fellow had an article recommending the Marines adopt the 9x23 cartridge for the 1911's carried by certain units.

I heard a similar rumor at a pistol match last month, one competitor announced that the Army was buying .40 Glocks. When questioned about the source, it turned out to be a gun shop owner, who urged him to buy the Glock 23 he was looking at, claiming they would soon be in short supply.

#7 ·
JRWnTN said:
I dropped in at GlockTalk, and it appears the author of the article is not exactly standing by his story.

Last November, the same fellow had an article recommending the Marines adopt the 9x23 cartridge for the 1911's carried by certain units.
Coupla things… I know where "the author" got that 9 X 23mm crud from, 'cause his source was the same moron who tried the same "I'm in the know, the Israelis want the 1911A1 in that chambering and a U.S. Military Special Ops Unit just ordered 5k of them from Colt's" stuff on the 1911-L about five years ago, and left in a late model huff when I pulled his pants down on it. He then started his own Forum, alienated a fair amount of serious people with his sociopathic actions, and still insists that the 9 X 23mm is the wave of the future in auto-pistols.

The guy behind this USMC story, David Crane, works very hard… probably harder than I do with TGZ… at making something of his Defense Review site, trying to make it the second coming of the venerable Jane's. The problem is that he doesn't have any real access, and after a stunt like this, his prospects for same are grim. I fired the link off to a definitely dialed-in source, and received a couple of different replies from people in that particular loop.

One tersely stated in no uncertain terms: "David Crane has NO credibility...," while another chimed in, presciently, with "Crane is a charlatan. He is seeking publicity. Dumping this late on a Friday when he feels it will give him two days grace before he is shut up. His reply will be "well, my source was good waaaaaaaaa."

And it must be noted that Crane, having been thoroughly beaten and battered on GlockTalk, has just issued a retraction and half-arsed mea culpa.

Pete, your enthusiasm is admirable, but ixnay with anything more like this… ever! I don't usually resort to emoticons, but just so there's no mistaking my meaning here:

:evil:

Got it?

#8 ·
Fernando said:
Now lets be clear on something, there is the Industry Insider and the Industry Outsider, two different sources of industry information. This type of info may have moved over from the Outsider territory to the Insider. Where's Waldo when we need him?
I missed this before…

We do need to be clear on this!
  • The Industry Insider was Cameron Hopkins' final page industry report cum bully pulpit in American Handgunner, and I don't know if his successor has carried that forward.
    [/*:m:2vg8du5x]
  • The Industry Outsider is a dark satirist who submits material to TGZ "over-the-transom," so to speak. As he is a recognized "rugged outdoors industry" personage, he has requested, and been granted, anonymity so that he can continue his work without having to peek out from behind curtains to see if there's a black Benz loaded with four Bulgarians with stainless steel teeth slowing down in front of his house.
    [/*:m:2vg8du5x]
  • The late "Waldo Lydecker" was The Industry Intelligencer for Gun Week until he died hideously on New Year's Eve a dozen years ago. I succeeded him, is all. [/*:m:2vg8du5x]
Three separate and distinct personages, three different venues.

#9 ·
And it must be noted that Crane, having been thoroughly beaten and battered on GlockTalk , has just issued a retraction and half-arsed mea culpa .
Is this apology the retraction to which you refer, Dean? Or is this apology even more recent?
another chimed in, presciently
Great call by someone. Crane didn't get 2 days, but your source didn't say that he would actually get 2 days, only that Crane was expecting to get 2 days.
I would have guessed that he put the story out just to keep from being scooped, and figured he had 2 days to get a second source. Putting a story out that's wrong is going to hurt him long term. The bigger the story, the more damage it does.

#10 ·
The new editor is Roy Huntington. The column is The Insider

Roy is a retired San Diego cop with considerable magazine experience.

His column has a similar format but doesn't do the gossip column stuff of old and I don't think there is a malicious bone in his body.

One of the best ways to learn about an editor is to see what reader letters are printed and how he repsonds to them. He's got a great sense of humor and doesn't mind letting some reader make a fool of himself.

I'm not changing how I write, but the whole tone of the magazine is changing in a lighter direction.

#12 ·
DeanSpeir said:
We do need to be clear on this! The Industry Insider was Cameron Hopkins' final page industry report cum bully pulpit in American Handgunner, and I don't know if his successor has carried that forward.
FWIW: Cameron was not AH's first Industry Insider. Mas Ayoob introduced it in the second issue (Nov/Dec '76), and a couple of years later, it passed over to Editor Jerry Rakusan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.