Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Easiest, cheapest, lightest, fastest way to get a good grip on a K frame is a Tyler T-Grip. Cool old-school looks on something like a fixed-sight K, too. On a round-butt K, the T-Grip feels about as good as anything available--not that anything feels bad on a round-butt K.

Also look at Pachmayr Professional Compacs. These have the open backstrap and are slimmer (and lighter) than the regular Compacs. Very comfortable to shoot.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I agree about the Tyler as the most expedient- and completely satisfactory answer, but if you want wood there are options: Old "K" frame S&W grips are going up but not nearly as fast- or as high- as "N" frames. Eagle has some really nice rosewood and Kim Ahrends "retro" stocks are very cool.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
An M13 *sigh*...

For me, it's a tossup between a 3" M13 or a 4" pencil-barrel M10 for the most graceful revolver extant...

I've had one of each, and I want more!

Another vote for the T-Grip. I got one for my M49, so I could go back to the original "lemon-peel" grips; the classic appearance just can't be duplicated any other way. I ordered in mid-Dec, and it took about six weeks to deliver, but the gun retains the shootability it had with synthetic boot grips.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had my 'smith make a round butt on my M13, then sent it off to Smith & Wesson for a bright nickel job. That, the bright alluminum Tyler adaptor, and faux-ivory grips make it a looker, plus a real joy to shoot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't have a lot of K-frames, but my favorite centerfire revolver, the Manurhin MR73, is built on a similarly sized frame, with an action derived from that of the S&W. My favorite stocks for this gun are made by Karl Nill. The best place to buy them is by bidding on eGun.de, where they typically sell for half of their retail price. The second best way to pay for them after PayPal is by sending foreign currency in a sturdy envelope. Most sellers respond to inquiries in English.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Breathing life back into a thread--for a GOOD reason!

I got a K-frame!!! :D

At a local range today, I saw a poster offering a 10-9 4" pencil barrel for sale; get this--$275!! :shocked:
At first, I thought I'd check it out after I finished shooting, but I couldn't concentrate, thinking about someone else snapping it up while I was on the range. It turned out that the revolver wasn't at the facility, the owner was hanging onto it. He was called, and brought it out. The gun is nearly pristine! Very little wear; there was only a little ring around the cylinder with beautiful original stocks. The seller was a real gentleman; he simply wanted to share the classic and wasn't worried about "making money". I certainly didn't argue with him, but did promise to take good care of it. :)

Of course, it's a good shooter (much better than me).

Still not believing what I stumbled onto--this happens to other people...

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Shep854,

CONGRADS on your find!

why don't things like that happen to me? = i've been looking for a reasonably priced 2" K-frame for a while now & those who have them around here are divided into 2 rough groups:
1. those who WON'T sell
and
2. those who think that they have "national treasures" at totally INSANE prices.
(the most recent INSANITY was a local guy who is asking 800+ USD for a rather "doggy-looking" 2" Model 10.)

what i'd really like to find is a Model 64 "snubbie".

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
After I bought the M10, I took it onto the range to get acquainted (well, d'uh :lol: ), and found that while the grip is much more filling than a J-frame, the trigger guard still bangs my knuckles, so a T-Grip may be in the offing. A set of custom wood grips is not unthinkable, either.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Shep854,

personally, i believe that the Tyler's T-grip is the answer, as they are compact/comfortable. = Snake is 100% correct imVho & the T-grip looks "old school"/correct.

fyi, at the last gunshow that i attended, there was a dealer with a box full of T-grips at 3-5.oo each.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
stand watie said:
Shep854,

personally, i believe that the Tyler's T-grip is the answer, as they are compact/comfortable. = Snake is 100% correct imVho & the T-grip looks "old school"/correct.

fyi, at the last gunshow that i attended, there was a dealer with a box full of T-grips at 3-5.oo each.

yours, sw
You're absolutely correct; on my M49, I couldn't ask for greater comfort than I have with the T-Grip. A custom grip would be for pure vanity. 8)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Good luck finding a Tyler T-Grip. Apparently they are having a LOT of trouble delivering product these days, and might even (according to some reports) be in some legal trouble because of this. :ehsmile:

Fortunately, it's not too difficult to make your own functional equivalent with some epoxy putty and a piece of thin sheetmetal.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Snake45 said:
Good luck finding a Tyler T-Grip. Apparently they are having a LOT of trouble delivering product these days, and might even (according to some reports) be in some legal trouble because of this. :ehsmile:

Fortunately, it's not too difficult to make your own functional equivalent with some epoxy putty and a piece of thin sheetmetal.
IIRC, they make each adapter to order. It took a couple of months to get the adapter for my M49. They may be that badly backlogged.
Does Pachmyer still make a hard-rubber grip adapter? I had one a while back; it came on a gun I had bought.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Stand Watie,

If you're still looking for a "shooter" 2" 64, they had one a few days ago at Sand Burr Gun Ranch when I was teaching there. Police trade, a bit scratched up on the outside, but seemed to be in time with a nice action. If you're interested, you can call them at (574) 223-3316, ask for Ashley or Denney and tell them I referred you. Denney is D.O. Reichard who does an absolutely fantastic S&W action slick, you might want to talk about one of those on it if you call. Price was reasonable IIRC.

best,
Maas

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
A little late congrats on the Model 10 score, Shep. :thumbsup: Does she shoot point of aim for you?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
IrishCop said:
A little late congrats on the Model 10 score, Shep. :thumbsup: Does she shoot point of aim for you?
Thanks! In the short 25rd FAMFIRE, it did OK, but there's no exaggeration to say it's much more accurate than I am.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Just read on another forum, Tyler T-Grip company is now apparently officially dead--website down, phone disconnected, mail returned, etc.

Someone posted the size chart, in case you want to look for them on eBay, gun shows, gun shops, etc.

SMITH & WESSON REVOLVERS

#1 For ALL Smith & Wesson "J" frames; models: 30, 31, 34, 36, 37, 38, 47, 60, 63, 649, ect..., made after 1955. Chief, Kit Gun, Bodyguard, Centennial, hand Ejector, ect, also most Charter Arms, Rossi 38 Special, Taurus 85, R.G. Model 31. All guns must have standard factory panel grips, will not fit oversize or rubber grips.

#2 For Smith & Wesson "J" frame revolvers made before 1955. Chief, Terrier, etc. Also for EIG E9, INA, Tiger, Llama X111, some late model Charter Arms, with standard grips.

#3 For ALL Smith & Wesson "K" and "L" SQUARE BUTT frame revolvers; models: 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 48, 64, 65, 66, 67, 547, 581, 586, ect...,. Also fits Astra Cadix, Falcon Revolvers with standard size regular grips, will not fit oversize grips. SQUARE BUTT "K" & "L" FRAMES.

#3R For ALL Smith & Wesson "K" & "L" frame ROUND BUTT: models: 10, 12, 13, 19, 64, 65, 66, 547, 586, ect... and all "K" frame ROUND BUTT models with regular standard size grips, will not fit oversize grips.

#4 For ALL Smith & Wesson "N" frame; models: 22, 25, 27, 28, 29, 57, 58, 629, ect... Patrolman, Outdoorsman, Target Military, 1918 Military, also Miroku, Aster 357, Llama Heavy Frame Revolvers all with standard size grips, will not fit oversize grips. Round or Square butt does not matter for N-Frame Revolvers.

COLT REVOLVERS

#5 For Colt "D" frame Round or Square Butt models. Agent, Cobra, Detective Special, Diamondback, Police Positive made after 1941, with standard size grips.

#6 For Colt "I" & "J" frame models. Python, Trooper, Official Police, Officers Model, Target, 357, MK III, New Service, 1918 Army, with standard size grips.

#7 For Colt, old model made before 1941, Police Positive, Police Positive Special, Detective Special, this model has a very narrow butt, narrow between trigger guard and butt stock, Grips are 1 1/2" at bottom width.

RUGER REVOLVERS

#8 For Ruger, Security Six, Speed Six, Police Service Six, Red Hawk Revolvers with standard factory grips.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts