1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: http://www.thegunzone.com/specweap.html

Dean, unless I'm mistaken, the HD is supressed. There's one in the Nimitz
Museum in Fredericksberg, TX. The Admiral had a pair, a 6 incher like your pic
and a standard 4 inch barreled one similar to my civilian HD.

Q. What the title of CP's book covering High Standards? I'd like to scrounge
the net - abesbooks.com - for a copy.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dean.

I forgot to mention the two Nimitz HDs are US models. Mine is just a civilian model.

[IMG=left]http://home.earthlink.net/~csmkersh/images/HS_HD.JPG[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Sam the correct nomenclature is USA-HD and the suppressed verision appends an "MS".

It was widely reported that Admiral Nimitz was fond of them.

The confusion arises because there are a couple of other models with "HD" in the name. First was simply the Model HD which is pretty rare and of pre-war vintage. During the war there was a sizeable contract for the USA-HD and of those about 1000 had the suppressor. Following the war the gun became the HD-Military of which they made something over 150,000.

·
Registered
430 Posts
CeePee:

I have a High Standard Tourney model with the removable barrel, 6", I think. It's in storage right now till we move into our new house so I can't check the barrel length. Is there anything special about this model that makes it worth more than any other model, It was made in Hamden so I think it is an original manufacture. :?:

I know it will shoot bettetr than I can hold. :shock:

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The Tournament versions were the lowest of three grades based on finsh and accessories (barrel weights, muzzle brake etc.) The others were Citation and Trophy.

The current opinion is that guns made after they moved to Hartford are not as good as those made in Hamden. I'm not sure that is always true but Hamden made is a selling point.

Unless there is something unusual the Tournament varieties don't have any special value. There will also be a number such as 103, 104 etc. Those help identify things a little better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts