Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been handed a Savage Springfield Model 840 Series E bolt-action rifle, cal. .30-30 whose bolt I cannot remove.

The chamber is empty, and I've stripped it down to bare bones. I can see nothing that might be blocking the bolt's movement - with the possible (?) exception of the band-type extractor, which seems a little loose around the bolt head...

The handle will travel up about 1/4" before engaging the bolt and the bolt begins to turns...The handle stops about 3/16" from the top of the receiver, never fully unlocking the bolt.

I can turn the cocking piece 90 degrees and lock it in place with handle up, but this seems to do no good.

I'm going nucking futs trying to get this bolt out...I wanna fix this thing and get it back to it's owner - and the SOONER, the BETTER!!!

Thanks, folks...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
If the bolt handle is moving independently of the bolt, you’re hosed! As a last ditch effort, look through the magazine well for a vent hole in the bolt. Insert a Phillips head screwdriver and use it to rotate the bolt. If that doesn’t work, you’re up a creek. Time to take it to a gunsmith to have the bolt handle silver soldered back on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Put a strap wrench on the barrel locking collar, and spin it off. Then remove the barrel. You should be able to rotate the bolt and remove it then. You will need to take it to a gunsmith to have it headspaced and the locking collar torqued down when you reinstall the barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts