Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kid calls me from the base the other day: "Can you put an M1 carbine back together? My buddy took it apart and can't get it back together."

No problem, bring it on home. :wink:

What he drags home is all fine except for one thing: The friggen' BARREL is off the receiver! WHY on earth would anyone do that?

"He said his roommate, who just likes to take stuff apart, did it while we were in Afghanistan."

So I try to screw it on. Very easy until it stops dead about exactly 180* short (upside down, in other words).

The question is, can I take it on around home by, say, putting the barrel in a vise and sticking a hammer handle in the receiver? I seriously doubt the idiot roommate had the proper receiver tool to remove it; he prolly got it off in a similar way.

Can't tell the carbine maker BTW. Rear sight covers the name but it's stamped "SO EL MONTE CALIFORNIA" on the left side of the receiver so I'm assuming it's a cast Fed Ord gun. Most other parts appear to be either GI surp or aftermarket generic stuff, stock is aftermarket birch and handguard is ventilated metal. A $300 shooter at best. Oh well, at least it's not one of those stamped Universal backbirths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
Snake45 said:
Kid calls me from the base the other day: "Can you put an M1 carbine back together? My buddy took it apart and can't get it back together."

No problem, bring it on home. :wink:

What he drags home is all fine except for one thing: The friggen' BARREL is off the receiver! WHY on earth would anyone do that?.
/SNIP!*

This is the point where I take the gun to a gunsmith. Yes the guy who removed it might have used a hammer handle. Do you know that? How do you know doing the same to tighten the barrel might just stress the receiver more than the metal can handle?
Something tells me Mr. Murphy will be in attendance when things like this are tried.... :ehsmile:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TommyGunn said:
Yes the guy who removed it might have used a hammer handle. Do you know that? How do you know doing the same to tighten the barrel might just stress the receiver more than the metal can handle?
Tommy, this is exactly why I'm posting the question. :ehsmile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
Is there any sign the receiver is bent as it is?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TommyGunn said:
Is there any sign the receiver is bent as it is?
Not that I can see.

It being cast (presumably), I'm more afraid of cracking than bending it.

I might try some "gentle persuasion" with a block of wood or something of the sort. I just know that it's not going any farther by hand. If it were less than 1/4 turn, I'd have done it already, but 1/2 turn gives me pause. Was just wondering if someone could tell me that's "normal," or when I SHOULD start feeling resistance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
Whatever it costs, needs to come out of Roomie's hide! :evil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
:shocked: Half a turn is WAY TOO MUCH! It should hand tighten to around 45 degrees from final position. What you want to do should NEVER be attemped with a hammer handle through the receiver. A proper barrel vise and receiver wrench is absolutely necessary to properly tighten the barrel. The receivers are easily broken without the proper equipment.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jimb16 said:
:shocked: Half a turn is WAY TOO MUCH! It should hand tighten to around 45 degrees from final position. What you want to do should NEVER be attemped with a hammer handle through the receiver. A proper barrel vise and receiver wrench is absolutely necessary to properly tighten the barrel. The receivers are easily broken without the proper equipment.
THERE'S the information I was looking for! Thanks Jim!

Methinks I'll leave the mess alone. :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Snake,

equally important is LUBRICATE the THREADS, before you TRY to screw-on the receiver.


yours, sw
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top