Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Rock-Ola that has a large "J" and crossed cannons in the slingwell. The recoil plate is marked with a lightly struck "W" and a heavily struck "J" next to it. Does anyone know what the "J" means?

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
IIRC, it was made by Jamestown Lounge.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The stock was made by Jewell Brothers Manufacturing. They had an Ordnance contract for stocks from 8-44 to 4-45. Jewell Brothers also had a contract, 8-43 to 2-44, for recoil plates. The WJ Recoil plate was made by Wadsworth Watch Case Company for Jewell.

Bill Ricca posted the Jewell Brothers contract info about a year ago on a different forum.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Brian is correct. I have no contract for Jamestown Lounge directly to the government for stocks or handguards. JL did provide wooden caskets for burial, directly to the government.

JL, as far as I can tell, was simply a sub to major contractors.

One caution. Do not confuse the J marking with the JL . They are different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, is it still a wartime replacement stock as T mentioned?
I assume the recoil plate is original to the stock??
Also, should I leave it as is? It is in extremely nice condition. The handguard is an unmarked two rivet hg by the way and matches pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Thanks for the correction....senior moment! Duh! I knew that! The rattling sound you just heard was my brain rattling around in an empty skull! If I shook my head a little harder, I'd probably get a concussion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts