Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well, I hate to be vague, but I have this nagging memory of a noteworthy event. Perhaps this will jog someone else's memory and we can come up with the story.

Several years ago, in Washington, DC, an intruder broke into the home of a nationally known black leader (whose identity escapes me right now) and the leader used an (illegal) handgun to frighten off the intruder.

It seems to me that the homeowner was a news reporter or syndicated columnist (not William Raspberry) who was virulently anti-gun.

It turned out that his son was an FBI agent who had loaned the gun to his father for self protection. I don't believe there was any prosecution.

Can anyone recall the event?

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
That's an easy one, OldStar. It was the "lengend in his own mind," Carl Rowan. Rowan, is was both an avid anti-gun nut and a bully pulpit journalist who used his position to preach against firearms ownership. The handgun he possessed was given to him by his FBI agent son, Carl Jr. :oops:

FWIW, Carl Jounior is or was a NRA board member.

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
I remember this incident well. Saw a few bumper stickers at the time: "When guns are outlawed, only Carl Rowan will have guns."

Also this was right about the time that that Iranian airliner was mistakenly shot down by the USS Vincennes. Another "black humor" (no pun intended) joke going around was that the Vincennes was going to be renamed the USS Carl Rowan.

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
[BS/inaccurate/unworthy statements redacted.]

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snake45 said:
Whoopie Goldberg kept a shotgun by her bed. This one I know for a fact (SHUDDUP!) because I saw it with my own eyes on some TV show maybe 10 years ago--PrimeTimeLies or DateLies NBC or one of those shows. She was living in a farmhouse deal out in Kansas or Montana or some such place, and in her bedroom there was a double-barrel shotgun leaning by the wall right next to the bed. When asked about it, she said, "Hey, we're a long way from help out here in the country."
O, for the love of Peter G. Kokalis!
  1. It was CBS' 60 Minutes.[/*:2t1xjqnv]
  2. It was her farmhouse home in upstate New York.[/*:2t1xjqnv]
  3. It was, as I recollect, a single barrel.[/*:2t1xjqnv]
  4. Interviewer (Ed Bradley?): Why a shotgun? Whoopi: "I'm a single woman living alone in the country."[/*:2t1xjqnv]
It was, however, in her bedroom, standing in the corner.

And I'm willing to be the Hayden-Fonda story is B.S.

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
Okay then, forget I said anything.

·
Administrator
7,759 Posts
A far cry from her television home in the center square, Goldberg's spacious 5,000-square-foot farmhouse is situated on 13 acres in rural Cornwall, Conn. The farmhouse was completely restored after she purchased it in 1991. Currently for sale with Seymour Surnow at William Raveis Real Estate Services, the home features two fireplaces, rustic pine floors, a library and a panoramic sunroom enclosed in glass. It is surrounded by 13 acres, complete with an apple orchard and a workshop.
Looks like we were both wrong... :wink:

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
FACT: Caryn Elaine Johnson, AKA Whoopi Goldberg, was profiled on ABC-TV's 20 Lies 20/20 on September 26, 1997.

SEMIFACT: This is roughly--give or take a year or two--about approximately more or less the timeframe in which I remember seeing the profile.

FACT: Transcripts of this program are available for those who happen to have about $20 too much money. That would NOT be me. (My kid has just announced that he is expecting me to front him the purchase price of a used Gibson SG guitar in "excellent shape." Since there are worse things he could end up in life as than a Ridiculously Overpaid Guitar God, I have decided this is a much better gamble than lottery tickets.)

UNFACT: Whoopi was plugging her new movie Sister Act III: O for the Love of St. Peter G. Kokalis.

:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts