Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Pretty cool! I hadn't seen a couple of those pics before.

Everyone else: It's a collection of pics of (mostly) weird and experimental airplanes, mainly from the '30s to the '50s.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Some interesting old aircraft there .... wow!

I can't believe someone actually named an airplane "Moonbat." :lol:
It wasn't even the most bizarre plane there!!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell me about it Tommy! Some of them look like something out of an old Tom Swift illustration.

Thought you'd like it Snake! What got me were all the 'Flying-Wing' and foil-type designs.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Look how many of those were built with Tax-payer dollars by the US of A.

Geoff
Who is looking askance at the F-35....

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Skeptic49 said:
Geoff
Take a real good look at what the Democratic Peoples Republic of China is doing militarily, you might change your mind. An F22 ripoff and satellite & carrier killers for starters. We're dependent upon satellite comms and intel. We fought a disproportionate part of the Afghan air war from the floating bird farms.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
William R. Moore said:
Skeptic49 said:
Geoff
Take a real good look at what the Democratic Peoples Republic of China is doing militarily, you might change your mind. An F22 ripoff and satellite & carrier killers for starters. We're dependent upon satellite comms and intel. We fought a disproportionate part of the Afghan air war from the floating bird farms.
I dunno .... we do need Naval air power, but the F-35 program has been horribly beset by cost over-runs and technical problems. The F-35 is not even as capable as the latest F-18 Hornet according to one source I've read. The VTOL version ought to be cancelled, perhaps.
Our entire military procurement program for air superiority fighters needs a major overhaul and .... a good kick in the slats ..... :ek:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
William R. Moore said:
Skeptic49 said:
Geoff
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com ... r-for.html

Not at FIVE TIMES the original price, with stealth maintenance soaring beyond all expectations. Sigh, I love new fighters, but I don't think this is a good idea. Is the contractor currently in default?

Geoff
Who is unsettled by the administrative failure.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The other reason for Raptor cost-overruns is the slashing of production, needing more development, tooling and other fixed cost to be assigned onto each individual airplane.

How I'd do it: a hybrid of manned and unmanned systems, with a "four-ship" of one F-22 with three UCAV wingmen--you have less people in harm's way, more combat strength, but still a man-on-scene making the final Shoot/NoShoot decision. Or maybe a dozen UCAV's with a B-52 or B-1 "armed command-ship".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts