Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tuesday, RUN, don't walk, to your nearest music emporium and grab your copy of "Enjoy Every Sandwich," the new WZ tribute album. I was underwhelmed when I initially read the setlists and artists for this thing. I was wrong. The album is stunning, and deserves a place of honor on any Zevonista's shelf.

Don Henley does a nice job of "Searching for a Heart," as does Pete Yorn with "Splendid Isolation." Jackson Browne's new interpretation of "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" will almost wash the Ronstadt and Clarke covers out of your mind, and Adam Sandler's "Werewolves of London" is a no-BS, straight-up rocker. If the contributions of Bruuuuuuce and His Bobness (Dylan) are disappointing, Jordan Zevon's rendering of his dad's unreleased "Studebaker" is worth the price of the CD all by itself. And Billy Bob Thornton's "The Wind"--a song that Zevon wrote but evidently didn't get to record for his final CD of the same name--will absolutely haunt you.

Even though I got a free sneak preview copy through the Zevon underground network, I'll be buying a full metal retail copy on Tuesday just to see the liner notes. Fabulous stuff, and I know what all my friends will be getting for Christmas this year! 8)

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
[IMG=left]http://www.amback.com/images/uploaded/enjoy_every_sandwich.jpg[/IMG]
  • 1. Searching for a Heart - Don Henley
    2. Werewolves of London - Adam Sandler
    3. Reconsider Me - Steve Earle & Reckless Kelly
    4. Poor Poor Pitiful Me - Jackson Browne & Bonnie Raitt
    5. My Ride's Here (Live) - Bruce Springsteen
    6. Lawyers Guns and Money - Wallflowers
    7. Studebaker - Jordan Zevon
    8. The Wind - Billy Bob Thornton
    9. Splendid Isolation - Pete Yorn
    10. Mutineer (Live) - Bob Dylan
    11. Monkey Wash Donkey Rinse - David Lindley & Ry Cooder
    12. Don't Let Us Get Sick - Jill Sobule
    13. Ain't That Pretty At All - Pixies
    14. Keep Me in Your Heart - Jorge Calderon & Jennifer Warnes
    15. Keep Me in Your Heart (Strings Only) - Van **** Parks

·
Registered
466 Posts
Werewolves of London Adam Sandler

Is this the same Adam Sandler from "The Waterboy" and "Happy Gilmore" movies?????

Did Zevon do the song "Excitable Boy"?I don't know if that is the title or not.I always liked that song.

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
carguym14 said:
Did Zevon do the song "Excitable Boy"?I don't know if that is the title or not.I always liked that song. ...
Yes he did.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
carguym14 said:
Werewolves of London Adam Sandler
Is this the same Adam Sandler from "The Waterboy" and "Happy Gilmore" movies?????
Thanks!
That would be him! :shock:

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Fernando, when you get the thing, DO NOT look at the song/artist list--just put it on and push play. Try to guess what song each is before the singing starts. There are some surprises! Great fun! :)

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
I'll do that.

I'm stopping at the store tomorrow on the way to work. Hope they are out on the shelves. If not, I'll stop by when I go home. Looking forward to hearing it. Never heard Warren's son, either.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I just got the "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" anthology and the "Wind" in the mail today from CD Universe. Prior to that I've only had "Greatest Hits." I hope to get the tribute album soon. I noticed Ry Cooder and David Lindley collaborate on a song... two of my long-time favorites.

Ed

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I put the two disks right into my car changer (the only time I really get to listen to music the way I want to hear it... loud) but I only drove 5 minutes to the supermarket and back. I need to take a long drive this weekend. :wink:

I'm getting a kick out of reading the liner notes! :twisted:

Ed

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
That'll give you something to work on for next year, the annual Warren Zevon/Hunter S. Thompson gunner award!

Fear and Loathing in North Carolina.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
steinauge said:
Anybody else think "MR bad example" and "Roland the headless thompson gunner" were two of his best?
Roland's a classic, of course. My favorite version of it was the way he did it in a few '96 shows, where he broke into Beethoven's Op. 122 right in the middle of it. Just amazing!

Never been a huge fan of MBE, though I always thought it would have made a good Johnny Cash song. We'll never know now, but I think Tom Russell could do a good JC-like version of it. Maybe if they do a second tribute album, I'll suggest that!

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SpecialEd said:
I hope to get the tribute album soon. I noticed Ry Cooder and David Lindley collaborate on a song... two of my long-time favorites.

Ed
They're both on "The Wind," too--you'll hear them clearly. In fact, you can really hear ALL of the "guest stars" on that album (except Tom Petty, who kind of fades into the background), and yet it never for a second ceases to be purely a Warren Zevon album.

It takes a listen or two to sink in, but I think you'll really like that CD.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Wrong playlist on my PC

When I put Disk 1 of the "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" Anthology in my PC's CD player it displays the song list from Disk 2. No biggie, just annoying!

:cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts