Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished your treatise on the 1911 in the Aug/Sept. Handguns mag. Kudos sir, well-written and brought out alot of good points. Wonder what Number 1 is worth? Historically, it's probably priceless.

On the Novak Custom NEXT, while it cleaned up the lines, doing away with the grip-safety is nothing new. El Jefe advocated it for serious shooters back in the eighties, he just had them pinned closed. He showed me his back when I took the 360, or was it 260, course. It was a long time ago. I do like what they did with the Thumb-Safety. Makes the gun alot safer to handle. Back to the subject. While it's a good idea for a competitive shooter or for a serious carrygun, I wouldn't recommend it for most home-defense work. Why? I have eight small Grandchildren. I carry a Pro Carry II. While I'm extremely careful not to allow them any access to my arms, things can happen with creatures as devious as children. I like the fact that, except for the two oldest, they can't really get their small hands around the grip good enough to depress the grip-safety and reach the trigger. But again, not everybody has my situation.

Anyway, two well-written articles Pat, I can see that Charlie rubbed off on you!!!!LOL.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

I don't view any mechanical safety as a panacea to kids and safety. I've seen kids smaller than you'd think figure out any and all safeties in short order. I've seen kids with "recoil springs too heavy to work" figure a way to work the action.

If you make it a mystery and a challenge, kids will strive to solve the puzzle. Better to de-mystify and teach good safety habits.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't misunderstand Pat, I don't either. However, in my mind, the more impediments the better. There's a fine line between safe enough for the kids not to get into and still be quick to bring into play when needed. There's the Rub. when they're here, Papaw's Bedroom Door is locked. I put an outdoor Entry set in it years ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts