Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished reading your write-up of the Kimber Super Carry Pro. Very well-written. We were talking about it over on 1911Org. What you wrote pretty much squares with what we've found. Most of us, myself included, own a Pro-series Kimber. It's my carry gun. Light, accurate, very reliable guns. I go for the minimalist approach to carry pistols, mine's a Pro Carry II, only changes are a ambi thumb-safety(I'm cursed with Sinistralism), a Flat Firing pin stop with a small-radius, a S&A flat steel, checkered MSH( The Polymer MSH shattered right above the pin) and Rosewood grips. Oh, and the Wolff XP spring(Which I understand is now standard on all the 4" Kimbers).

I do like the two-tone look they're giving them now but, I'm not a fan of the Bobtail MSH. Doesn't feel right with my grip.

All in all, a very good write-up Pat, Kudos!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have another bobtail gun on the desk right now. I find that my hand doesn't miss any of the "missing" metal.

But, I've also found that I've handled and shot too many firearms, for too many years, to remember what is "natural" or "normal." My hands just adapt.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seriously, the guys I've talked to that like them either have smallish or large hands. Me? the problem I have is that no matter how I grip my hand seems to migrate along the Bob plus the curved in feeling is hard to get used to..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have found that the size of ones hands is not primarily the reason folks like the "bobtail" main spring housing conversion. In most cases, for the folks who preferred the design, it came down to the "feel" and as often as not, that it reduced, to some degree, the "printing" of the gun in their particular mode of carry. I hand them a gun with the standard main spring housing and one with the "bobtail" main spring housing, let them chose and build the gun accordingly.

While I likewise do not miss the missing metal, my primary carry gun, which is carried in a cross draw mode in an inside the pants holster, is a bobtail. In that mode of carry, for me at least, it prints less than the standard main spring housing gun. The difference is minimal and I could easily live with a standard main spring housing.

That said, the bobtail conversion does have a place.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Sean Henderson said:
While I likewise do not miss the missing metal, my primary carry gun, which is carried in a cross draw mode in an inside the pants holster, is a bobtail.
You crossdraw guys... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts