Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Very cool! That's going on my Favorites list. Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Cool, dashing Flyboys with their leather jackets and scarves and the guy wearing the helmet has what looks to be a 1911 in pretty good shape sticking out of his holster.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Pardon me for reading Snake's mail, but that's one way-cool website! 8)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure to check out the F86 pics Snake, one's in color!!!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Hell, I've got eight or ten books just on F-86, two of them nothing but color photos from Korea. :wink:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Snake45 said:
Hell, I've got eight or ten books just on F-86, two of them nothing but color photos from Korea. :wink:
Yeah, but do you have a copy of "The Hunters"? :ek:

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
shep854 said:
Snake45 said:
The novel by Salter, or the awful Robert Mitchum/Robert Wagner movie? :lol:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Snake45 said:
shep854 said:
The novel by Salter, or the awful Robert Mitchum/Robert Wagner movie? :lol:
The movie starring the F-86 and F-84F, with a few humans thrown in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The F86 was the last true dogfighter. In my mind they should have stopped all development with the F86/MiG-15.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The site has gone into my dailies. But wasn't the F-15A the last true dogfighter?

Geoff
Who notes the Israeli experience. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually Geoff, the F16 was a better dogfighter then the 15, more manouverable. It could do a 180 within 1/8th of a mile and could out-accelerate the 15. The 86A was a true seat of the pants dogfighter, pilot did it all himself. Nowadays, with fly by wire, ten computers, etc. the pilot is pretty much along for the ride.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure, will look up.

Okay, the aircaft is capable of 9 G manouvers at 1.6Mach. Due to it's designed slightly negative stability, side-mounted fly by wire control and the 30 degree recline of the seat, which all work to reduce the effects of High G manouvers on the pilot. the aircraft itself is designed to take 14 G without straining the airframe.

The 180 degree turn within 1/8th mile was at .7 mach at 8 G

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
Not sure, will look up.

Okay, the aircaft is capable of 9 G manouvers at 1.6Mach. Due to it's designed slightly negative stability, side-mounted fly by wire control and the 30 degree recline of the seat, which all work to reduce the effects of High G manouvers on the pilot. the aircraft itself is designed to take 14 G without straining the airframe.

The 180 degree turn within 1/8th mile was at .7 mach at 8 G
8 G's. Owie! It was the F-16 that made G-LOC (G-induced Loss Of Consciousness) a real problem. As it sounds, an f-16 can generate enough G-force to cause the pilot to pass out completely.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
Actually Geoff, the F16 was a better dogfighter then the 15, more manouverable. It could do a 180 within 1/8th of a mile and could out-accelerate the 15.....
The F-16 uses the same engine as the Eagle, and only one, making it smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable. It should be able to out-dogfight it, assuming pilots of the same ability. I would have guessed the F-15 could have out-accelerated the F-16 given two engines, but I guess the smaller airframe overcomes the advantage of dual engines.
From what I've heard, the F-22 makes the F-16 look like a Sopwith Camel it's so much more advanced.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tommy, ya gotta remember, you're comparing 1970s technology with stuff developed 30 years later. Put canards, thrust-vectoring, stealth technology, and the same avionics in the Falcon and I'd hate to live on the difference.

Shep, F16 drivers can take 9 Gs safely due to the reasons I stated.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The hottest of the 16s are the F16E and the F16IN, with the GE-F110-132A engine at 32,500 pounds of thrust and advanced avionics-suite. These, believe it or not, are export fighters. They have a 4,000 lb. thrust advantage over the Block 50/52 and 60/62 F16s in AF inventory.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
The hottest of the 16s are the F16E and the F16IN, with the GE-F110-132A engine at 32,500 pounds of thrust and advanced avionics-suite. These, believe it or not, are export fighters. They have a 4,000 lb. thrust advantage over the Block 50/52 and 60/62 F16s in AF inventory.
We give other countries better fighters than the ones we operate??????????????????????? :shock: :ek: :ek:

WHAT the --

1 - 20 of 28 Posts