Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

No it wasn't fired in a Glock:rolleyes:

Another reason to only keep one caliber of ammo on the bench at the range.

S&W 1911 in 45 wound up with a 40 (wife was shooting the P239) in the magazine and it not only fired and ejected but completely cycled the slide and loaded the next 45 shell.

It felt like a squib load.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
That could have ended badly, you should buy a lottery ticket tomorrow... :)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Not too bad though. Since the case was free to rupture there really wasn't an opportinuity for excepp pressue.

A 9mm fired in a .40 looks exactly the same :dunno:

·
Registered
795 Posts
A friend of mine has a 1911 with the original .45 barrel and a .40 CorBon barrel. He fired a .40 Corbon. The gun went futt, didn't cycle and when manually cleared a nicely fireformed .45 case popped out. I laughed like a hyena about a second later when I realized what he had done.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Resolved: Single caliber or highly dissimilar caliber range sessions are recommended.

Geoff
Who arrived at the range with two .45's and 250 rounds of 9mm and .22LR.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Resolved: Single caliber or highly dissimilar caliber
In January 1994, the live-fire portions of the ASLET seminar were conducted in the US Park Police range building in DC. I took note of a strictly enforced rule: Only one caliber of ammo on each range at a time.

The 9x19mm case fired in a .357 SIG pistol, mentioned above, was sent to me by an instructor in California, who spotted split cases on the ground during a course in which one student was alternating between SIG pistols of each chambering.

Instructors who train private citizens are not likely to have the volume to segregate 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP courses. However, it may be wise not to allow individual students to mix and match calibers during the same course.

What about backup guns? In my opinion the same principle applies but I realize that there are some who insist on carrying smaller guns for backup. For those who do, I would suggest using distinctively different boxes for each caliber of ammo. I once traced inconsistent function in a 9mm pistol to the fact that I had inadvertently grabbed a nearly identical box - distinguishable only by reading the small label glued on the end flap - of early-production CorBon .380 ammo in place of 9mm ammo when I filled my range bag that day.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Resolved: Single caliber or highly dissimilar caliber range sessions are recommended.

Geoff
Man, I HATE it when that happens! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts

Geoff
Hmmm, was that a...ah....senior moment? Brain fart? CRS? ;)
I seem to be suffering more and more of those as time goes by. It's a mystery to me...... :confused::D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hmmm, was that a...ah....senior moment? Brain fart? CRS? ;)
I seem to be suffering more and more of those as time goes by. It's a mystery to me...... :confused::D
You may want to try using sublingual vitamin B12 and increasing your consumption of brain-healthy foods, such as spinach and blueberries. It's only a hypothesis at this point but it is believed that the reason that there may be such a low rate of Alzheimer's in India is the routine consumption of turmeric - a nearly flavorless spice that is used to give the yellow color to curries.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Mabel, I'll have the spinach pizza with a side of curry and two slices of blueberry pie!
It's for my health.
Geoff
Who notes his memory isn't what it us'ta wuz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts