Gunhub.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for a matter of information, alot of manufacturers are already shipping out guns with high capacity magazines. Today, I received a couple of Springfield XD's that have 12rd(xd40) and 15rd(xd9) in them.

Acusport is running a deal on their OD Exclusive Glocks (.40s&w only) where they are shipping the guns with 2 10rd and 2 high capacity magazines. Even on the 27's, they are including 2 high capacity Glock 23 magazines.

I think most people are trying to get everything out in the market or produced before the legislature can screw us again (any produced/shipped during this window should be grandfathered).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Are magazines marked "LEO only"?

I'm wondering if the magazines are pre-9/94 or if the manufacturers had a supply of new magazines ready in anticipation of ban expiring.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not on the XD's -- they simply have the Springfield Armory made in Croatia markings on them.

I have not received the Glock's yet to tell on those.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charlie Petty said:
... so you can miss more...right? :sm_angel:
CP --- you do know why a dog licks himself don't you????? Because he can. And I think that is why people are clamoring over the high capacity magazines right now, because they can. All you have to do to make something desirable is to ban it or limit the supply. Heck, a SKS will always be a $45 dollar cheap gun to me no matter how much they are charging for them today. MAK90's amd AK's will bring a pretty penny even with the sunset on the ban compared to the $129 or so they were going for in the late 80's /early 90's.

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
I'll skip all the clever replies to the dog similie...

Of course you're right but I can't help but think that high capacity- along with lasers- flashlights- **** tails and rabbit ears- are answers to questions we didn't even think of until someone told us we should.

I had over 20 years on the streets here with a Model 10 and a speedloader and got by ok. When we switched to a .40 with 12 rounds plus two spare magazines I didn't feel the least bit safer.

Dean has often said- in response to "what accessories to buy" questions that the money would be better spent on practice ammo. I think we could apply that to high caps too.

But I really do need to get a collapsable stock for my AR before it's too late :twisted:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've invested in some "high capacity" magazines for my .40 S&W, all eleven rounds worth of firepower. At $10 for LE trade-ins, they'll at least make good practice magazines.

Until around 1983, Virginia state troopers carried one 6-round dump pouch with their .38 revolver. After a trooper fired 8 rounds in an incident, two speedloaders were issued.

On the other side of the coin, I remember a deputy who starting carrying FOUR extra magazines for his Glock 17 (68 rounds) after seeing the FBI's film on the Miami shooting.

I understand that simply having more rounds available adds a very minimal amount to security, even though it makes some folks feel safer. Realistically, the odds of having to fire more than a few rounds in a civilian defensive encounter is extremely small. Still, when going through a training course with multiple targets, those 5, 6 or 8 rounds seem to go awfully quick.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Glock 17's

In the case of the Glock 17's my sons and I use for competition, I definitely have to get the standard cap mags. Not because USPSA production division will allow regular capacity but because those 10 rounders are a b!tch to get the 9 and 10 round in them. And because I can, of course... :wink:

Hi capacity on my carry G36 means having that 7th round in the chamber... :lol:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
[IMG=left]http://www.madogre.com/images/Ranger_hey_baby.JPG[/IMG]
"Suckas."

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
JRWnTN said:
…a deputy who starting carrying FOUR extra magazines for his Glock 17 (68 rounds) after seeing the FBI's film on the Miami shooting.
Then I submit that the Dep'ty came away from that screening having missed what I would have thought was a very clear message.

But then 11½ years ago I received a late night (on the East Coast) 'phone call the Monday immediately following the "Rodney King Trial Riots" from a certain very well-trained and highly firearms-proficient SoCal MOS who said that he'd just stopped home to shower after something absurb like a 72-hour tour, and to pick up additional magazines for his Glock… he'd been especially impressed by the one particular looting scene in which a robbery victim in a store had given an excellent accounting of himself with a revolver until he'd been overrun.

But I digress… what is also clear from a study of NYPD's annual Uniform Firearms Assault Discharge Report (SOP-9) is that since the advent of the semi-auto pistol as a general duty weapon, the person compiling the report for publication has had a more difficult time "massaging" the numbers to keep the curiously yclept "Hit Potential" statistic in double digits.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I watched the studies of that Miami incident several times. My conclusion was that someone dropped the ball... I'm not going to name names... but he had a close range shot from a distance of across the hood into the driver's window and the opportunity to have ended at least one of the problems right then and there.
But he missed.
The other thing I come away with is a lack of patient and careful police work and poor planning. The whole operation was sloppy and no one was really prepared for the encounter that happened at the worst possible time for the Agents... when the two villians were well armed.
This incident has launched the whole Magic Bullet industry, but the FBI still didn't learn the very basic fundamental tenet of Sun Tzu - Hit the enemy when they are not prepared and not expecting it.
The made the same mistake at Waco instead of just waiting until they could have snatched Koresh coming out of a 7-11 with a big gulp in one hand a hotdog in the other. More firepower isn't the answer... bigger raids are not the answer. In my mind a raid is an indication of very poor police work. A raid should be the last and final option for police. Unfortunately since it is so easy to do now, they do it right off the bat. It's like punting on the 1st down.

Sorry... had to vent that.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fed-Ex just pulled in with my shipment from Acu-Sport --- and the magazines I received are stamped on the back RESTRICTED LE/GOVT ONLY and are stamp dated 9.13.94 on both the Glock 23 and 22 mags.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While I have been a police officer for many years, I disagree that raids are the result of poor police work. I know this forum is not intended for this but here it goes.

Raids are an excellant tool when used for the right reason or purpose. They work awesome when the intent is to surprise and take the suspect(s) without incident. Does it always work, of coarse not. I cannot speak about Waco but the Miami shooting I have studied extesively and it comes down to one thing (alot of other things to but they all point to) TRAINING.

I have witnessed the poorest shooter on our department take a suspect with two well placed shots and others who think they are good empty a mag and get maybe two hits. It came down to who paid attention in training and practiced what they were taught.

There is my pennies worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts