Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlie, A friend of mine has a High Standard with what seems to be a magazine problem. If you load the magazine to capacity the first couple of rounds jam. They seem to hit the chamber at an angle that won’t let them chamber. If you load them short, they work fine every time. This is happening with a couple different magazines. Any Ideas ?? :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Joe Forte said:
A friend of mine has a High Standard with what seems to be a magazine problem. If you load the magazine to capacity the first couple of rounds jam. They seem to hit the chamber at an angle that won't let them chamber. If you load them short, they work fine every time.
Have a 1960 era Hi Std. Supermatic Citation, with five magazines. Never had a feed problem. I do clean them about once a year, maybe less since I don't shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a year with it. Shot thousands of rds a year in the 1960s, don't remember any problems with gun. Just the shooter. :oops:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Mike, I don't see where it is a real big deal because the matces he shoots in reqire a five shot magazine change. Loading 5 rounds there is no problem. Other than the fact that they used to work fine I don't know what to say.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Many magazines, when loaded to maximum capacity, will have problems that go away when a couple of rounds have been fired. There are typically two problems, either a magazine spring that has too much tension or some malady with the feed lips.

Since they work in the application he normally uses I can think of no good reason to mess with them.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
5 rds vs. 10 rds, repeatedly

I would check how often the mags are disassembled & cleaned. Maybe, somehow, crud is building up below the follower, causing no harm at the 5 rd. level, but screwing things up when the follower and spring are squished (technical term, sorry) down tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts