Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie:

I've got a High Standard Tourney model, military grip and a 6" barrel. Last Wednesday I took my grandson and his father to my club's range. First time for him with a real gun. This after drilling him on range dos and don'ts.

We used the High Standard. It hadn't been shot in about a year but I do keep it clean and oiled. Ran dry patches through it before firing. With full mags it started to stovepipe some ammo and jam some others up against the top of the barrel bore. This was happening with both mags I have for it, one original and one purchased from Cheaper than Dirt. The CtD one was made for the HS. This has never happened before. Always ran through both mags without a hitch.

Question, do you have any idea why this has started to do this now? I don't know if this has anything to do with it but both mags have plastic followers. Thanks for any clues you can shed on this.

BobMac

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
What kind of ammo gave you problems?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Snake's question is valid but those stoppages sound more like magazine stuff.

Assuming the gun is clean and properly lubricated you shouldn't be getting stovepipes and the tip up is almost always magazine related.

To me the key is "full magazines" and the first thing I'd do is just try loading five or six rounds.

When the magazine is full the pressure of the rounds in the magazine can slow the slide down leading to stovepipes. The tip up could also be due to excessive spring tension preventing the round from releasing in a timely fashion.

I know it's not "supposed" to do that but try that first.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Also, the shooter may be limp-gripping the gun. My grandson did it with one of my Trophies.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snake, CP and RM,

OK, I was shooting standard velocity CCI .22s. They ought to have had enough power to operate the slide. They always have before.

Believe me, I was not limp wristing, I don't do that.

Charlie, I thought the mags could be the trouble. I never fill them full, 7 rounds is plenty and still the rounds either stovepiped or point jamed. The gun was clean and lubed. At least I though it was. Going to the range later this week. I'll see what happens then and report.

BobMac

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Keep us posted. Sounds like you're doing everything right so it must be the mags. You might want to try some high velocity ammo and see if it does it with that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts