Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I like to hike but she has problems with big steps up or down (poly Neuropathy) We thought the old RR beds would have a slope she could handle with few step-ups.

We talked about the B&O trail but there has to be something further south we could start on. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Go a few miles east.

You have access to great (and level) beaches. The sand is quite firm close to the water.

I would also guess that there are sidewalks at various places along the Intra-Coastal waterway.

Have you tried the Canaveral National Seashore, Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge or Playalinda Beach? (Take mosquito repellant with DEET!)

I'll also bet there are several local parks in your area.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Boy old, your post brings back memories ---

The last beach on Playalinda was a NUDE beach (at least it was in 1985 when I graduated college). It made for an interesting airplane ride back home after getting my GLUTES sunburned!!!! :shock: If this were not a mixed board I could tell more stories :)

I think there is a Rails-To-Trails website that lists all the R2T's. They are very popular around here, but we were smart enough when we bought our property our business is on from the B&O Railroad that we insisted upon not leaving them a right of way once they pulled up the tracks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Northern Virginia "W&OD" rail trail

Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) trail runs from Alexandria, VA north west almost to the Blue Ridge. Good trail for ambulatory challenged folks, all paved, and frequent pickup points along the trail.

Unfortunately is fairly urban until it gets out to Vienna, VA , then becomes more suburban-grading-to-rural.

Even more unfortunately, much of it is inside "the Beltway" and traffic is a nightmare. If you come in from the west, it is possible to get on it near Dulles Airport (IAD) without too much traffic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're anywhere near the florida area ocala county (1 1/2 hours south of FL/GA border) there is primo hiking territory. If you're close enough to shoot down I'd suggest just google'n any for some trails. Great weather, even terrain, an overall easy hike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts