• Otis Kit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The Otis kit has a flexible cleaning rod that you can either attach a patch holder to or a bore brush. The Otis kit also comes with other tools for cleaning your rifle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You are comparing two different things, the otis kit is for cleaning the entire weapon(it can clean most weapons) the bore snake is just for the bore, and you have to buy it based on the caliber of the weapon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
After I got the Otis kit, I didn't know how I lived without it.

You can do fast with the otis. One or two passes with a tight patch and call it good. You can also do a full out cleaning.

With bore snake, all you get is quick. They only work on one caliber, and you never get really clean with a bore snake.

Plus the Otis kit is a full cleaning kit (even a little bottle of CLP) that folds up into a 3" diameter by 2" wide pouch with a belt loop. Very easy to always have with to the range.

Otis all the way.

Brian

·
Registered
316 Posts
My concern with the otis kit is the plastic covered cable. Unless you are careful you will certainly drag the cable across the rifling at the crown. Seems like this could be a wear point like using a rod without a guide. Maybe I'm all wet, but it seems that the fabric on the bore snake would be safer in this regard.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
why not pull through from chamber and thus avoid dragging on the crown?

·
Registered
69 Posts
bore snake works great in ahot barrel, and fits in your pocket, also has more surface area than a patch. But , for all out cleaning at the house I use the one peice coated rod with attachments and patches with solvent.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I wouldn't use anything that has a chance of dragging the bore in my rifles. The old style dewey coated and 1 piece stainless rods are the way to go with a proper guide if you want to be sure of treating your barrel nice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Boresnakes are good for knocking loose crud out of your bore immediately after shooting or while in the field (take one on every hunt). But I don't consider them an effective cleaning tool.

Soak it in soapy water, rinse and hang to dry after using, you don't want to drag that crud down the bore a second time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.