Gun Hub Forums banner

How big of a safe do I need for my M1's?

• W42" x H72.5" x D27.5" 1020 lbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • W36" x H60.5" x D27.5" 850 lbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on a bigger/better safe for my M1's... been reading all the other posts on safes in the other forum indexes, but this kinda pertains to M1 storage.

what are you guys using and how many M1's can you fit in your safe?
Dimensions?

asking because the M1 seems to take a little more space than your run of the mil regular rifle. My current M1 count is 8 + a few other friends.

I'm stuck between the Liberty:
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_Lincoln.lasso

Franklin 50 (42 CF)
W42" x H72.5" x D27.5" 1020 lbs

or the

Franklin 35 (36 CF)
W36" x H60.5" x D27.5" 850 lbs

I like the 50 because it's sooo big! but that is also it's down fall... it's sooo BIG! Price difference is not a huge factor, the biggest factor for me is that I am going to be moving in a year or so & I'm not sure how many room options I will have to keep such a large safe in or even get it into one of these rooms in a new house? Might not be able to keep it in the living room :cry:

p.s. I'm not having a house built, I will be moving into an older house as that is the only "new" house option in this area.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Always go bigger--knowing who you are and where you come from Icormba, we all know you are going to buy more rifles.

MIke
'
:wink:

·
Registered
455 Posts
It may take a forklift to get into your house, but it will take a forklift to get out too, so your average thief will leave it behind. Why not put the safe in the garage?. Believe it or not I have 2--14 gun safes and 1--10 gun safe and I still have to take the stocks off some of my M-1's to get everything to fit. I am planning to buy another for future buys. The bigger the better. My feeling is if Kerry gets into office--CMP is history, so I want to be in a position to buy and store as many M-1's in January as I can afford before Kerry can issue any presidential orders since Capt Crunch more than likely be starting up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
icormba,

If you buy a big one, you will fill it up, if you buy a small one, your be buying one more real soon......

XXIV Corps :wink:
DMZ 70-72

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I plan on upgrading to one of those 64 gun safes.. but onething when considering a varry large safe.. will the garage concrete floor handle that weight?? that is a lot of concentrated weight in a small spot....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I am still trying to answer that question....
I had it answered when I lived ion another state... I built a walk in underground vault.... I moved before I filled it up, but I tried.

Here in Florida, everything underground id under water!

I have 5 Large safes varying from A pot belly(wide as it is deep) 36x36 to two 50x72.....
I was going to get the 72x72, but Couldn't maneuver it in the house....

Good luck,

'Gerry

·
Registered
618 Posts
Buy larger for room to "expand" the collection! :D I bought the smaller safe from liberty and I wish it was bigger.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's one of the natural laws of Garand collecting -- the size of the collection will always eventually expand to bigger than the capacity of the owner's safe. :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Fort Knox, 28 gun model, that weights over 700 pounds- 740 or something like that. I looked at other sizes, but a question of what you can get thru the door and how much your floors can support. I don't like safe in basement if I can avoid. My hot water tank just went and while I got it before a lot of water in basement, still don't want to risk flooded basement with guns. However if you have floor drain in basement and raise safe not as as much risk. Also if basement finished and has AC then you are also limiting humidity risk. Certainly the heavier the hard to steal and if stairs, esp if on lower level harder yet to steal. But I think there are other factors, such as where you live and not letting people know you have guns or at least not letting them see your safe so they will be unprepared if do break in. Like everything in life a balance. But I would strongly advise you buy from dealer who can move/install safe for you. Nothing like person with equipment and knowledge to move. Even a 740 pound safe is not a job for a Home Depot general purpose dolly.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've been fol enough to move many safes in my life....
Ranging from 600 lbs to 1150 lbs....

Last year someone was "helping me" load a 975 lb Cannon onto a pickup...
At the wrong moment, he let go to flick a cigarette ash..(I knew why I hated cigarettes!..lol)
It nearly tore my right arm off.... had several muscles reattached... and 1.5 years later, still have no feeling and little strength in my right arm.....

Getting another safe this week (If Hurricane diverts....) another Cannon - 1500lbs... Professional safe mover will be doing it for $100/hour and well lworth it.

I bought several mail order or factory direct, and they get a great freight charge... $170 from California delivered.....

I had an identical injury to my left arm this year.... not safe related... but now I have put 4'x8'x3/4" Partical board shelving on my ban list for catching when falling from overhead....

Good luck,

Gerry

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the safe guys love you to buy the one you think is "big enough". They know YOU'LL BE BACK as the saying goes. They will just wait. You end up spending more in the long run. I'm guilty like a bunch of the others here.
You have to tell the other half it's for her valuables! :lol:
I'm lucky, my wife thinks we need more rifles with wood.
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Tiger...
Your wife sounds like a keeper....
Mine "needs" more rifles and handguns too.....

She goes shooting without me :cry:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have read several articles on zanotti safes, but have never seen one. They seem like interesting concept and I understand well made. They are knockdown safes that make moving easier. I suppose you could buy a big zanotti safe and assemble it in a room and have assembled safe too big to get thru the door. Link below. Interested in any experience you may have had with zanotti safes.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Zanotti seems to solve a few problems that plague safes in general....
I wouldn't have one in mymaster bedroom and another in my family room if I could have assembled them both in the spare bedroom....

Oh well............

Gerry

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased a Zanotti safe.The ZA3,it weighs 950 lbs empty and holds 54 rifles.I bought the 6 ft tall version,so it has two shelves on top.
Very easy to assemble and can easily be moved,a lot better than having to hire a moving outfit or hurt yourself trying to move all this weight in one piece. Very happy with this purchase.Would recommend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Duster42 said:
I just purchased a Zanotti safe.The ZA3,it weighs 950 lbs empty and holds 54 rifles.I bought the 6 ft tall version,so it has two shelves on top.
Very easy to assemble and can easily be moved,a lot better than having to hire a moving outfit or hurt yourself trying to move all this weight in one piece. Very happy with this purchase.Would recommend.
Duster,

Can two people assemble easily? And about how much does the heaviest part weigh? I imagine that the door is the heaviest. Also how was it delivered? Did they bring to your house or did you have to go to terminal to pick up? If they left at your door could you move it into garage with dolly by yourself? As you may guess I am in market for another safe and considering zanotti. Thanks for any additional info.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I outgrew my safe after a year and a half of serious collecting. My advice is to purchace the largest safe you can afford. It will fill up faster than you can imagine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts