Gunhub.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the next week, http://www.firearmbuzz.com will be evaluating the most popular gun forums on the Web. Using feedback from forum participants we will publish an official review of the top sites.

We need your feedback. What's great about the Gunzone forum? Where could it be improved? How would you describe the site - e.g., focus, member attitudes, responsiveness, etc.? Please post your response!

I'll let you know when the review is completed and available on http://www.firearmbuzz.com!

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
'scuse me, but I think your approach is flawed.

A "reviewer" does not ask the chef or the director of the film to judge their own work.

A review is hopefully based upon a study of the subject and then informed evaluation.

Of course Dean is a real critic and he may have a pithy word or two... :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
CeePee said:
'scuse me, but I think your approach is flawed.
Flawed and suspect.

What exactly is Protorian up to with this, #1, and, #2, how would it benefit anyone other than Protorian?

Me 'n' Charlie have our egos, of course… what writer doesn't? But neither of us are likely to start stuffin' the ballot boxes, or request that any Members or friends do so, either.

TGZ's Forum, integrated as it is into the broader spectrum of AmBack Forums, is what it is, and most will note that, while Señor Coelho maintains an open registration policy, there is a pretty decent signal-to-noise ratio, and not a sycophant in sight.

I think we're will to take our chances as is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look guys, you are missing the point. What my website is trying to do is "capture the buzz" -- what's important and what is not! If you aren't willing to jump in and say what you think is good or not good on a forum, then you must want some outside investigator to make decisions for you.

That's too bad, but OK if that's what you feel.

Let me point out that the exact same message went out to 8 prime forums -- if they all have the same reaction, I will let you know. Somehow, I doubt it.

Much of what makes a forum is what the head guys and the moderators say and how they lead. Obviously, something that will come to front in any review.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In response to Dean re. Protorian

Dean, are you a little paranoid or do you just want to stir up a debate? Be glad to take you on...

Nothing in this for Protorian or any of my son's other websites. Please see the response I gave to the Verona Shotguns thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI -- getting amazing replies from other forums-- please...step back and think about how you are coming across.

By the way,is there anyone else but Dean and a few controlling seniors out there who cares?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am newly registered here, but lurked for several months after linking from Dean's site. I don't want to get caught up in web politics here, but I think the site & its people are pretty damn good as it is. I don't see any reason for them to be tooting their own horn for the sake of hearing noise.

Just because someone gives a site a certain review doesn't mean I will like it better or not like it at all, or even go to it. You gave Cheaper Than Dirt a good review, but I will not buy from them anymore than I will go see fat michael moore's BS popaganda movie just because Roger Ebert called it "a compelling, persuasive film, at odds with the White House effort to present Bush as a strong leader."

Maybe an offer of a banner exchange would have been better instead of being antaganist. You may not be trying to be, but to me, it is coming off that way.

Thats just my opinion of course, which means nothing, because in the end, it is just a bunch of 1's & 0's stored on a computer somewhere.

G

·
0 Posts
FYI -- getting amazing replies from other forums-- please...step back and think about how you are coming across.
Yeah, Right! I see you have got a warm response over on The Firing Line.

(Un?)Fortunitly I can't find a such titled Topic on some of the other "lesser" forums I frequent (THR, GT, 1911). I'm sure these sites are also worried that their "Official Firearmbuzz.com Review" might be bad. (NOT)

I would suggest you heed your own advice (if you plan on posting on any more boards where the Staff have an ounce of critical thinking skills)!

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Okay, let's get to it…

Red said:
Look guys, you are missing the point. What my website is trying to do is "capture the buzz" -- what's important and what is not!
I'm afraid that it is you who have not only missed the point but the whole concept of what "special interest" Internet Forums are all about, #1, and, #2, the very essense of "buzz."

It's very, very difficult, if not impossible, to deliberately create "buzz." "Buzz" by it's very nature is organic. One may go out into the Summer evening and catch lightning bugs in a fruit jar, but how does one catch lightning in a bottle? Simple, one doesn't. So as CeePee said quite directly, and politely, to you, your approach is flawed.

(The reason I qualified that foregoing statement with "very, very difficult" instead of straight out impossible, is that I understand that there are some professional firms which get the big bucks for trying to "create buzz," but even then it's more art/necromancy than science.)

As for the essence of an Internet Forum, something we learned long ago from our formative on-line days on the original Prodigy service… many of us here are, as Tim Burke says, "Prodigy Survivors…" a Forum or Bulletin Board is it's Members. And the success or failure of that is based solely on the quality of the Members and what they bring to the Forum.¹ Again, this is an organic thing with the added fillip of serendipity and harmonics. So, as Antoine de Saint-Exupéry noted in Le Petit Prince, "what is essential is invisible to the naked eye." (If that's too recondite a reference for you, as Louis Armstrong said when asked about jazz, "If you don't know what it is, better not mess with it.")
If you aren't willing to jump in and say what you think is good or not good on a forum, then you must want some outside investigator to make decisions for you.
Ye Gawds and hanging chads, man, if that's not a freaking Liberal Democratic Social Engineer talking, I don't know what is! I can't believe that you would come on any firearms-related Internet Forum and say something as presumptuous and stoopid as that! Nobody here, or I'd wager the price of a new Kimber, on any other Firearms Forum (or even those devoted to Motorcycles, Automobiiles or Real Estate for that matter!) want anything of the sort.

But then I see from your posts here and that thread on TFL to which Schmit linked, you're an impatient man as well. You show up, register for free… in the days of Prodigy, you had to be a subscribing Member to participate… and virtually demand a response to what is basically an off-topic conceit of your own devise. (And when it is on-topic, as with the Verona Shotguns thread, because I'm TDY five states away and without an Internet connection and don't get straight back to you where there's a subject header that is not within my particular field of interest, you start getting huffy and pouty and begin tapping your feet!)

As TFL's croyance has told you, people come to the Forums to post about things they are interested in, and to participate… WTF are you to demand that they play your little game.
That's too bad, but OK if that's what you feel.
Yup, that's how I feel… now stop pouting and play that particular game somewhere else.
Much of what makes a forum is what the head guys and the moderators say and how they lead.
We must agree to disagree.
Dean, are you a little paranoid or do you just want to stir up a debate? Be glad to take you on...
  • Although a little paranoia is healthy, in this case I am far less paranoid than I am a rationalist… when I see something I don't understand, I start asking questions in an attempt to achieve an understanding. Your approach here has raised questions in my mind, is all.
    [/*:m:22ttaq6y]
  • No, you probably don't.[/*:m:22ttaq6y]
getting amazing replies from other forums-- please...step back and think about how you are coming across.

By the way,is there anyone else but Dean and a few controlling seniors out there who cares?
  1. Then you should be most pleased with your productive efforts, and too busy handling all those "amazing replies" to care about the non-productive ones.
  2. If anyone needs to step back and re-consider how they "are coming across," Red, it's you. From your brief time here, you have demonstrated that your are impatient, demanding… bullying, even…, presumptuous and insulting… not to mention clueless about the nature of Internet Forums.
  3. As for the "controlling seniors" remark, you need to apologize to Charlie for that one right now or I suspect that your tenure here will be ended with prejudice.[/*:m:22ttaq6y]
TGZ's Forum is open for posting about what The Gun Zone is about, not to promote some ill-conceived off-topic exercise, or enterprise, of yours.

· • · • · • · • · • · • ·

¹.- In his single-minded attention to the way he's fashioned his "buzz" project, it probably hasn't occurred to Red to do any of his own work and look at exactly what the firearms-enthusiasts Members here bring to TGZ/AmBack Forums… as they did to Prodigy.com SSBB/Prodigy.net SSF before. Under CeePee's avuncular guidance and my own hectoring, it would probably be best described as Critical Thinking. I don't remember the last time we had a Member anywhere post something like:
I just bought a new Falk-Mandelman Fornaughtner 2000 in .50 Farnam… what do you guys think of it.
It pleases me mightily that we are free of that sort of thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Re: Okay, let's get to it…

DeanSpeir said:
Ye Gawds and hanging chads, man,
There you go Red! It's phrases like that that keep me coming back!

Actually, I used to lurk on the Prodigy board for a long time because I wasn't a prodigy subscriber. I was afraid it was a clique for a few friends that were also very knowledgeable in the firearms industry so I was a bit reluctant to subscribe to AMBACK and post on TGZ.

BUT, much to my delight I have been made to feel quite welcome as long as I am not rude and obnoxious because they don't suffer fools gladly, and that's great because I know the info and opinions I get here are first rate (and no, they don't always agree with each other).

A very wise person once told me "There are two kinds of Knowledge, knowing it and knowing where to find it." If the people here don't know it they know where to find it. Add to that some great senses of humor, and an attitude of not taking themselves to seriously(except when discussing safety!) and you get an informative and fun place to hang out.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm sorry if you thought the old *P was a clique because I sure never thought of it that way.

One of the things about both the old SSBB and this forum is that most of the consistent contributors- whether it is an answer or a question- do so with their real name- or something very close. When folks don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet you don't get quite as much bogus BS as you do otherwise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apology to Charlie - in Response to Dean

I apologize to Charlie.

I thought "senior" defined someone who has been on the forum for a long time. I didn't know it meant OLD!

We newbee's just have to keep on learning!

The review will be fun!

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
So Red, Tell me about your dog... is that just a picture you chose with no personal attachment?

Ed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed,

I took my 5 year old golden to the vet hospital today at 10:00 a.m. Lymes desease with kidney failure. Belle has a very small chance of living and I am very upset. We are doing everything we can.

You didn't know, but you hit a nerve. I am very sad today.

But, I will never erase her picture -- she is the best and will always be the "good dog".

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Red, even without the picture, you'll remember Belle. My dog was killed when I was fifteen. I'm 68 now and I still see her in my mind. It was a bond 8 years in the making that's never been forgotten. You have my symphathy.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I just bought a new Falk-Mandelman Fornaughtner 2000 in .50 Farnam… what do you guys think of it.
I've always thought that this is kind of like asking: "I just got a vasectomy. I paid $$$ for it. Did I get a good deal? Should I have paid extra to get the reversible kind? This won't effect my ability to sire children in the future will it?" :twisted:

What I really dislike about many forums, including those which claim to have a high 'signal to noise' ratio, are pointless off-topic replies to serious inquires. Poster A asks a question, but Poster B, knowing nothing about the topic at hand, decides to post some pithy non-relevant comment instead.

·
Registered
430 Posts
:shame: We too, had a lab succumb to lyme disease and we were very broken up about it. But we got over it and got another lab.

As to the other stuff you spout, I have to agree with Dean and CeePee. Fugedaboutit.

Bob Mac

1 - 20 of 34 Posts