Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...of you have picked up a cordless drill to do a job and automatically defaulted to the straight finger position?

I was just working on the grandpeeps swingset and did just that thing... :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charlie Petty said:
well yeah... shouldn't you?
Yep, but the oddity is that 20 years ago it wouldn't have crossed my mind, particularly with an "unloaded" drill, squirtgun or plasma torch for that matter.

With a firearm I had formed that mentality by the time I was 10 or so.

Now it's automatic for anything that has a trigger...

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
What's funny is that Hollywood has so thoroughly gotten on board with this that in the last, say, four or five years, it's a real rarity to see anyone in a movie or TV show with his or her finger ON the trigger--even bad guys. I think it's pretty funny to watch some gangsta street punk with a gun at a hostage's head, but his finger carefully off the trigger.

G

·
Snake45 said:
What's funny is that Hollywood has so thoroughly gotten on board with this that in the last, say, four or five years, it's a real rarity to see anyone in a movie or TV show with his or her finger ON the trigger--even bad guys. I think it's pretty funny to watch some gangsta street punk with a gun at a hostage's head, but his finger carefully off the trigger.
They got tired of guys like us making fun of them for having their booger hook on the bang switch and the muzzle under their chin. Seriously, I wonder if someone got through to the executives of the various studios about the careless and stupid gun handling in their movies contributing to careless and stupid discharges their viewers. Did some studio executives adolescent spawn put a bullet down his leg while trying to do a Quick Draw McGraw with a double action revolver?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
So now you can add safety concious gang bangers to those who hold people hostage with uncocked single action autos. My personal favorite is the latest James Bond searching an apartment with his Sigs slide locked back. Must not have had the armorer on set when they resumed after a break.

It may be that the caretakers of the weapons/trainers have gotten through to the actors. However, I'd bet large amounts of money the driving force is the studios insurance carriers, 'specially after the one idiot shot himself dead on the set with a blank. Can't recall how Brandon Lee died either.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Wasn't Brandon Lee the one who offed himself with a .44 magnum (?) blank?

Happened in Wilmington, NC which is now quite the movie capitol.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Wasn't Brandon Lee the one who offed himself with a .44 magnum (?) blank?

Happened in Wilmington, NC which is now quite the movie capitol.
Lee was shot by another actor during the filming of a scene. It was Jon Erik Hexum that snuffed himself.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I dropped a small soldering gun on the floor while trying to holster it. Seems I didn't have my soldering gun holster on at the time.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
What's funny is to look down and notice that not only is your finger off the drill's trigger.... but you're pointing it in a safe direction.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
dfariswheel said:
What's funny is to look down and notice that not only is your finger off the drill's trigger.... but you're pointing it in a safe direction.
So do you "point-drill" or "front-sight, press"? :ek:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
A few years ago I was shooting a match in the late spring. The dew was heavy that evening and when transitioning from one stage to the next I hit a slick spot and went down.

The RSO called a halt and walked over to me just cackling with laughter. I was well and truly wet and as he approached I simply said "here" and handed him my 1911 so I could get up without getting it wet. He said " I never knew a trigger finger could point backwards". Apparently during my fall I had unconsciously exerted all my strength on keeping that finger away from the trigger to the point even those behind the line saw it pointing south while I was falling north. The gun never touched the ground.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
guntotin_fool said:
A few years ago I was shooting a match in the late spring. The dew was heavy that evening and when transitioning from one stage to the next I hit a slick spot and went down.

The RSO called a halt and walked over to me just cackling with laughter. I was well and truly wet and as he approached I simply said "here" and handed him my 1911 so I could get up without getting it wet. He said " I never knew a trigger finger could point backwards". Apparently during my fall I had unconsciously exerted all my strength on keeping that finger away from the trigger to the point even those behind the line saw it pointing south while I was falling north. The gun never touched the ground.
Bravo, sir! Bravo! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts