Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American tourists recovering after swimming for 14 hours when ship sinks in Caribbean

The fishing trip off the rugged north coast of St. Lucia was supposed to last all day, but about four hours into the journey, the boat's electric system crackled and popped.
It would be nearly 14 hours and a long, long swim before what was supposed to be a highlight of their sunny vacation would come to an end.

The group was at least eight miles (13 kilometers) from shore, and waves more than twice their size tossed them.
The group waited for about an hour, but no one came.
They swam for 12 to 14 hours, talking as they pushed and shivered their way through the ocean. ...
They swam until they noticed a spit of sand nearby. When they got to land, they collapsed, barely able to walk. It was past midnight. ...

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hope for the best prepare for the worst. No emergency raft?

Geoff
Who notes an adventure is something you realize you have had, once you get back to the place, you were swearing you would never leave again, while you were having it!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
My father would have survived that with one arm tied behind his back .......
however, my father was a Korean War Vet, Annapolis Graduate Class of 1948, U.S. Navy Underwater Demolition Team member. He swam that distance in his two-day regiments.
I truly think he could have given Flipper a severe inferiority complex.......
I, OTOH, would have a really difficult time with this. Being stuck like that is a place to conserve ones' energy. Forget the quick marathon swim. Instead of trying to swim, do a lot of "floating." Try to find a life vest or some other flotation device if possible.
Take it easy and do not exhaust oneself, but try to make constant progress.

Until the shark eats you.:oops:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Now, now Sharks are extremely sensitive to things they bite, most of us here would tend to drive them away...

Geoff
Who tastes awful.
The same physical trait that makes me buoyant I think would make me tasty. I am rather...uhhh,,,well marbled. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
That's what the Flatulence From Hell is for...

DB
Whose foot-odor ALONE is a lethal weapon in 49 states.

·
Registered
68 Posts
no back up batteries/radio? I've never understood getting far from land, unless it pays like $2000 per day, and then I'm going to need damned few such days to retire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts