Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew! What a storm!

By the time Hurricane Frances got inland it had dropped from a Category 4 to a Category 1 (sustained winds of 75 mph or higher.) However, it was so BIG that it just went on and on..........

In Tampa we lost power Sunday afternoon and it was just restored in my home about 9AM today (Monday.) The winds haven't been that bad, but the rain is incredible. For the first time in years I've been using my Coleman lamp and camp stove - really "roughing it."

Schmit, I imagine you got blasted again since Frances passed to the southwest of you - traditionally most hurricane damage is on the northeast side.

I noted that the "official" report is that the track of Frances crossed the track of Charley right around Kissimee - not really all that far from your house.

Oh, by the way Schmit, Hurricane Ivan is out in the Atlantic, is already a Category 4 and is expected to be at Cuba (90 miles from Florida) by Saturday.

Weren't you considering moving back to North Carolina?

:D

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I looked at Ivan's forecast track, and while it looks like it is headed right for Miami, it's far enough out that if it veers ever so slightly to the right in the next few days, it could easily end up in Wilmington. Schmit may want to wait for it to declare itself before he moves.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I HOPE that it doesnt turn and hit NC...I am heading to the beach around that time for a couple of days for "business" :D

Hopefully Ivan will fizzle out and die a slow death...

Much Love to those suffering through Francis..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I just hope Ivan kicks Castro's arse and drops a tree on top of him before it hits the US.
That's all I'm asking.

/on bended knee

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Justice

Wouldn't it be "poetic justice" for Castro to be done in by a hurricane with a Ruskie name?

:twisted:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nemo here...

Alive and well, although the big oak tree in front of the house couldn't take the winds and fell, towards the street, thank goodness. Everything else A-OK.

Anybody heard from the Gunnery Sergeant and his crew? Are they OK?

Fernando, if Ivan takes the tobacco fields, don't worry... there's Cuban seed available in Dom. Rep. and Nicaragua.

Cheers,
Nemo

·
Registered
89 Posts
dean,
"Francis" the Talking Mule's latter movies COULD be deemed "suffering" by some of those that attended them...So, if ya look at it from that point of view I wasnt TOTALLY wrong...err well sort of :D

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I wonder why they used the spelling of "Frances" when this year is a male name year. In most cases (at least in the USA) Francis is the male spelling and Frances is the female spelling. My father is named Francis but goes by Franc (pronouced like the french money).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hurricane Names and trivia about my grandfather.

Actually, prior to 1953 hurricanes were not given names. In 1953 the U.S. Meteorological Agency started giving them female names. Why female names? Because they were fickle and unpredictable!

Subsequently the World Meterological Organization took over giving names to the hurricanes. In 1979, they started using both female and male names - because women complained about them only using female names. One name was used for each letter of the alphabet, except for Q, U and Z. I have no idea why these letters are excluded other than the possiblity that there aren't many given names that start with these letters. For Atlantic Ocean hurricanes, the names may be French, Spanish or English, since these are the major languages of countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean where the storms occur.

The WMO has a six lists of names, which they rotate. If a storm is particularly memorable the name of that storm is "retired" from the list and will not be used again for several years, if ever.

The most devastating hurricane in history was the "Great Galveston (Texas) storm of 1900 in which about 8000 people were killed. At the time my grandfather was a law enforcement officer in east Texas and was assigned to go to Galveston to suppress looting. The family still has his Colt Peacemaker which he used to shoot looters in Galveston. He kept a list of those he shot inside the pistol grip. (You don't carve "notches" on mother-of-pearl pistol grips.)

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
The family still has his Colt Peacemaker which he used to shoot looters in Galveston. He kept a list of those he shot inside the pistol grip. (You don't carve "notches" on mother-of-pearl pistol grips.)
Now that would make for some great pics for the forum (hint, hint) :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Julian asked me to let y'all know that he has survived Ivan. No power and he doesn't know when it will be restored, but not to worry...he doesn't mind warm Guinness.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Here we go again. Jeanne is about an hour away and the eye will pass within about fifty miles of here. Fortunately, the storm is diminishing.

Charley

Frances

Ivan

Jeanne

Why did I move back to Florida? Oh yeah, the weather. :roll:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, it's 6:45PM, Sunday, here in Tampa and Jeanne seems to have abated; moving on to the northwest. This has been the worst of the big four in terms of actually hitting Tampa, but it doesn't seem to have done as much damage here as it did further inland.

We just got our electricity back, having lost it at 11:15 this morning. I already had the camp stove set up and was about to fire it up for dinner when the power came back on.

I was quite concerned about the loss of electricity because I had only coffee beans, no ground coffee, and my burr grinder needs electricity to work. (A man has priorities, after all.)

Another retired USSS agent lives over in Polk County, just East of Lakeland. Remember how Charlie and Frances made a big X across the state and then Ivan went through the same area? He lives almost right where the X was crossed. I think he is loosing his patience with the weather. :roll:

The weather people say this year is the beginning of a "cycle" of more frequent and more damaging hurricanes down here that may last for years.

Hummmmmmmmmm...................

G

·
Lets see....

Bertha and Fran when I lived up in NC...

Charlie, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne here in FL...

Two words.

Hurricanes SUCK!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Tornados suck... Hurricanes blow!

Actually we had a tornado touch down about 2 miles from my house last night.

Welcome back Schmit.

Ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts