Gunhub.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to another M14 fan that I'll not identify unless he tells me otherwise, I think we have another part of the puzzle revealed. If you have some experience with USGI magazines and/or you've got the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide with you, tell me if this doesn't make sense.

Here you go:

1) Most BRW S-1 magazines are stamped (right side up, up side down or at any angle) on the magazine body:

BRW
S-l

But I have two "BRW" magazines stamped:

BRW
S-1

without the horizontal line on the bottom of the numeral "1." IOW, these two magazines have a "tail" or "wing" at the top of the numeral "l" on the marking.

AND

2) there are two alignment holes behind the latch plate (like CMI and KMT magazines) of each of these two magazines

AND

3) there is a horizontal line just above the two lower dimples on the latch plate on each magazine just like 1990s production CMI magazines.

Sooooo, one could take an unmarked CMI magazine body and stamp it with BRW S-1 and let it speak for itself at a gun show . . . . . . . . Or possibly wrap it in some surplus paper and call it NIW . . . . . . .

Thoughts and comments, Gentlemen?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Keep the info coming Different, luckily I have about 15 mags from the 80's...don't feel a need for more, ASSume they weren't counterfeiting back then?? As an aside, what's the status of your 2nd book???TIA--Al

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not seen any reports of counterfeiting in the 1980s so I don't know the answer to that question, yet anyways. See my web site regarding the other question. :D

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Back in 1980 there was plenty of counterfeiting, but not M14 magazines. It made no sense to counterfeit a $5.00-$8.00 item in big supply. By the late 1980's the price had probably risen to around $10.00-15.00. Still were plenty around.

Making fake magazines with markings I estimate started around early 2000 (my first experience with them) while the ban was still in effect. Today the faking goes on for two reasons:

1. Cheaper to purchase then real ones
2. Very short supply of real ones.

It will continue. Eventually they will correct the reported inconsistencies and they will get so good you will not be able to tell the difference. At that point in time there will be an endless supply of "Original US GI 1960's M14 Magazines".

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for the good info all.
Just after 2000 is when I also started seeing the subject NIW mags at shows here around the "left" coast.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Why Bother?

Both Checkmate Industries and Borg-Warner are government magazine contractors. There is little difference in value. Certainly not enough to rip anyone off with bogus markings. Now I can see the advantage if one were trying to pass off a National Magazine, Inc. magazine as GI. The mark up on a $9 magazine may entice someone to do it, but these cheap mags are sold all the time for $20 and that is plenty of markup (they are a PDS too)!
The real problem is that the vast majority of M14 type rifle owners out there are just not knowedgable about what they are shooting and most of them don't care. It's only those of us who are serious about what we shoot that have real issues with this sort of thing. :oops:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Why Bother?
It may be true that only a small percentage care.

It becomes a problem when dealers mis-represent current production with previous government contract magazines. As different has pointed out, usually they do not work properly.

One day if they do work properly, then the small percentage of us who cares now, will continue to care. Nobody is twisting our arms, it is something we choose to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts