Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we got new next-door neighbors. Young couple. Haven't met them yet, really, beyond waving hello when mowing the lawn and whatnot.

This evening I'm sitting on my back porch when I hear some noise coming from the yard next door. I look over and there's a kid, maybe about 10, shooting an airsoft M16 at a cardboard box in the backyard. He doesn't live there; evidently his mom is visiting the new neighbors.

I get an idea. I go over and say, "Whatcha shooting?" Mom says, "Oh, it's just plastic BBs," kind of defensively. She apparently thought I was looking for trouble or gonna complain about the gun. (Little did she know!)

So I says, "Well, do you think he'd like to shoot some REAL BBs?" And the kid's eyes get about as big as coffee saucers.

So I come in the house and get my old restored Crosman M1 Carbine BB gun and a thing of BBs and head on over. I load it up and take a couple shots at the box just to see if it can hit it (range was 15 or 20 yards), then I show the kid how to load and cock the thing and turn him loose with it. (I asked Mom if she had any glasses for him and she produced a pair of sunglasses, which I had him wear when shooting.)

He shot from sitting position and by the second gun-load he'd figured out to brace his arms on his legs for a steadier hold. All by himself!

At first he was only hitting the box about half the time (you could tell from the sound) but by the second gun-load he was hitting it almost every time. Then he wanted to go check the target and I was in for a surprise. Turns out he wasn't aiming at the center of the box, as I assumed, but at a number "0" about 2" tall in the extreme top left corner of the box. He had a satisfying number of holes in and around it, too. That explained the misses--his real target was near two edges of the box, not in the center of the thing.

Then I said, "Would you like to see a real one?" (Well, what do you think?) "Follow me." I brought him into my place and got out my '43 Inland carbine and let him hold it and snap off a few dry ones. He seemed to be suitably impressed.

I bet I'm the star of every story that kid tells at school Monday morning! (Gee, I hope he doesn't get expelled for political incorrectness!) Well, I had fun. I'll have to assume that he did. :wink:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
:thumbsup: Good story! I didn't know they made M1 Carbine BB guns. I would have given a right arm for one of them when I was a kid. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top one in the pic below. Made from the mid-'60s to sometime in the '70s. Unlike today's junk, this is mostly metal (except for the SOLID plastic stock). If Crosman made these today, they'd have to retail for $200 or more.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin Gibson said:
VERY cool carbine collection there. How well does your .22 carbine work? I remember those being a bit finicky; but awfully cool.
This one runs 100% on Federal Walmart Bulks--at least on the good lots of them (they've shipped a bunch of bad lots in the last two years). It's at least as accurate and reliable as either of my 10/22s. How I wish Henry would pick them up and start making them again, as they did the ERMA lever-actions. I wouldn't mind having another one of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts